Flute Engraving

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A little "Bling" for one of my music customers

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Those are nice Brian. I especially like the first one. How did you arrive at the texture on the petals? Was it done with a rotary tool?

Abigail

Administrator
Brian,
Beautiful. I love love love the top one. And yes, we know musicians love 'bling'. LOL
Hmmm...I wonder what is better...your wine or your whittlin' ? ;)
Thanks for sharing both!
Abigail

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all.
Monk-where are you hiding? Washington is a rifle shot away from here.
Andy-The texture is just plain stippling with a twist. I actually stipple the petals first and then cut the outlines and add some detail. That way, I'm insured that the stippling doesn't get into the bright cut outlines.
Marty- I really was paying attention to your advice on balance and rhythm.
Abigail-My lousy photography skills diminish the second flute. I'll work at getting a better shot on that one.
On the wine--Kinda fell into that hobby--My house came with a small vineyard that produces up to 1000 lbs. of grapes each year. A good old friend shared his "RECIPE" on winemaking. It works!

Believe it or not--Flutes became my "Bread and butter" work since 1998. I engrave about 600 of them a year.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The top one's my favorite, too. Sparkling design!

I think I could play a flute...if I knew which end to put in my mouth. / ~Sam

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey buddy, I think I am going to have to kick back, drink a glass of that powley wine to be able to really appreciate those flutes to their fullest. May listen to some of Rod's flute music too, but nice little designs anyway. I like the imagination of the way they are connected together on the first one particularly. Has your client seen it yet? Do you do the same patterns on all of them or do you do something different on every one? Is that the only part of the flute that you do? Don't go slack on us now. I think I see some bare metal. Ha Ha....That makes those flutes very special.... Bravo!.........Good job!.....Ron S

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, A lot of the designs I do are propriety designs for flutemakers, and importers/distributors. I work with them to come up with a "signature" design--so to speak.
Individual flute players like to have a personal touch to their flutes. Some players like flowers, some like butterflies, others like Samoan tatoo artwork.
These patterns are for a distributor in Plano, TX.
I do actually engrave all parts of the flute,the Lip plate(as shown),the body, the barrel and the keys when commissioned to do so. Usually it's just the Lip plate.

The engraving actually serves a very important function---it provides "traction" for the player to prevent lip slippage. Many flute players place a regular postage stamp on their plates for traction. This is a much prettier alternative that can be very personalized to the individual flutist.
(And it is the reason that bright cutting is the best technique for this work----big sweeping sparkling cuts that are easy to execute and provide mega-coverage in a modest time frame)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My God! You know what? I never thought of that!!!! ..............we wouldn't want any "Lip slippage" would we? ............don't even want to think about how sloppy that might get!!! Ha Ha Ha

................I better go get some work done,............................ I'm getting silly!!

Engrave on, Brian!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam--I have no doubt you could play a flute. (I've seen Sam "Bela Fleck" Alfano with a fret board)
I know I can't play a flute and I do know what end goes in my mouth.

I thought about taking up the banjo and was tempted with a Banjitar......but that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

Brian

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, I guess my choice of words do sound funny.
Now you got me laughing with an interesting mental picture about "lip slippage". (I'm glad I didn't coin that phrase-I'd hate to have to live that down)

A glass of wine right now would just about turn my day into a "Laurel & Hardy" act.

N'yuk,N'yuk,N'yuk

Andrew Biggs

Those flutes are beautiful Brian. Those bright cuts really stand out and give it a really nice dimension.

Who would have thought........lip slippage.

I take it that you check for burrs really carefully :D

Cheers
Andrew

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian - send the flutes to me - I'll play them. I started as a flute performance major at college and studied with the principal flutist of the Boston Symphony. I'll give 'em a go. :)

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew---Yes, the work is carefully inspected for burrs. Can't let that happen even one time!
Tira----Sorry to say that these headjoints don't belong to me.....If they were mine,I would send them over and let you enjoy them for as long as you like.

If I ever get a "spare", I'll give you first dibs.........Deal or No Deal?

Brian

Latest posts

Sponsors