Fogging scope

Rbrennan

Does anyone know of an anti-fog solution? My scope (Meiji) setup is in an unheated utility room and my eye pieces tend to fog over. I guess it’s the heat from my eyes. I’ve tried backing away from the eyepieces with a homemade head rest. That helped a little, but now I’m getting two circles of view. Anyone else have this issue? Or solution?

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I had this same issue and also had slight moisture build up on my ball vise from the change in temperature. My setup is in a 12x16 shed. I ended up insulating the whole shed to r13 and running a dehumidifier that keeps it below 55%. I also run an electric heater which keeps it above 50 at all times. When i go out there to work i bump it up to 65-70 and that smaller change in temp keeps things from fogging and no moisture builds up. In the long run i will install a better heating system but it works for now.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone know of an anti-fog solution? My scope (Meiji) setup is in an unheated utility room and my eye pieces tend to fog over. I guess it’s the heat from my eyes. I’ve tried backing away from the eyepieces with a homemade head rest. That helped a little, but now I’m getting two circles of view. Anyone else have this issue? Or solution?
Is the homemade head test adjustable? The one for the acrobat stand is adjustable and I really had to find the “sweet” spot to control the fog.

Rbrennan

Yes the headrest is adjustable..I have played with it a lot today and kinda found the Sweet spot. Don’t really like the headrest though. I was hoping someone knew of an anti fog spray. Like used on a bathroom mirror. I think a small space heater/ fan might be the best solution, thanks Mike575.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Yes the headrest is adjustable..I have played with it a lot today and kinda found the Sweet spot. Don’t really like the headrest though. I was hoping someone knew of an anti fog spray. Like used on a bathroom mirror. I think a small space heater/ fan might be the best solution, thanks Mike575.
Hope it helps! If possible maybe bring your scope inside with you at the end of the session. Keeps it out of the cold and next time you go to use it there isnt a major difference between your eye temp and the scope temp. Not sure if your scope is hard to remove. Mine is an a60 on a stand that used to hold an old olympus microscope. Just loosen one thumb screw and it comes right off. I did that for a while before it was insulated as it started to get cold. (Connecticut).

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The anti fog I use in the bathroom mirror is shaving cream.. put it on mirror, while it off.. not sure if it has any residue that would bother your eyes tho, if you spend time with it jammmed right up in your eyeballs

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Used to be a product called catcrap for mountaineering glasses worked great for fogging, try your local hiking store MTC YMMV