Critique Request FOLDER Debut

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
This was done on what we call a scorro scorro, Fong Kong cheapie.
Like THE MAN said, "Oh, dear look what we have done" !!!!
All comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
aRM

Attachments

• P1000109.jpg
    P1000109.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 105
  • P1000176.jpg
    P1000176.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 86

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arm, I see you have cut tree of these. Don't know were to start to give good advice.
There are so many treads here that you can learn from. Try to read everything about design, you will learn a lot from it if you are willing.
I made a quite similar mistake on a very small knife before starting "design for my pocket knife. It is also a Kershaw and I still use it every day.

Here is that link design for my pocket knife

arnaud

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Friend aRM,
On this one.....first the good news.
Some of your elements have beautiful, flowing shape.

Now for the not-so-good news.
You have no proper point of origin for your center starting scroll.
Most of your shading is over done and too EVENLY dark.
It needs to have more taper to each line, starting lightly and with some space between.
Each line should evenly converge and get a little heavier as it flows towards the meeting point at the base of the leaf.
This creates a gradulation of gray shades, light to dark and gives the 3-D look that is normally imparted by the direction of the light.
Please see Chris M's classic recent shade post in answer to one of your past ones.
As it is much of your shading has the same constant degree of "blackness" as the textured negative background areas and imparts a blotchy look to the design.
With some fine tuning, you will get there. Your artistic ability is easy to see.
Best to you. Give this some thought

Last edited:

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
Arm, I see you have cut tree of these. Don't know were to start to give good advice.
There are so many treads here that you can learn from. Try to read everything about design, you will learn a lot from it if you are willing.
I made a quite similar mistake on a very small knife before starting "design for my pocket knife. It is also a Kershaw and I still use it every day.

Here is that link design for my pocket knife

arnaud
Do recall reading Your original posting ARNAUD.
The heart is willing but the mind just needs to be brought in line.
Will spend more time now designing and showing my effort BEFORE starting some cutting.
Thanks for the response.
Take care
aRM

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
Friend aRM,
On this one.....first the good news.
Some of your elements have beautiful, flowing shape.

Now for the not-so-good news.
You have no proper point of origin for your center starting scroll.
Most of your shading is over done and to EVENLY dark.
It needs to have more taper to each line, starting lightly and with some space between.
Each line should evenly converge and get a little heavier as it flows towards the meeting point at the base of the leaf.
This creates a gradulation of gray shades, light to dark and gives the 3-D look that is normally imparted by the direction of the light.
Please see Chris M's classic recent shade post in answer to one of your past ones.
As it is much of your shading has the same constant degree of "blackness" as the textured negative background areas and imparts a blotchy look to the design.
With some fine tuning, you will get there. Your artistic ability is easy to see.
Best to you. Give this some thought

JOHN
CHRIS did suggest previously that I pay very serious attention to Your recommendations and be ever watchful to Your advices. He was right indeed.
SHADING, we will definitely pursue with some heavy practise and as recommended by You both.
DESIGN is a little tricky as we have taken too much for granted by way of "poetic license". Will need to get the basics right here.
We do appreciate Your making time for us and graciously thank YOU for taking the trouble to advise us accordingly.
LORD BLESS
aRM

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
You're more than welcome, aRM.
To repeat, both Mario and Arnaud put you on the right track.
And Chris's pictures held the answer to your shading problems.
As you say, with more practice.............
Best.