For you banjo pickers

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know it isn't an engraving subject, but there seem to be a lot of banjo pickers out there, so I decided to let you all know about the Charley Poole Festival scheduled for June 8-10 here in Eden, North Carolina. It will be held at the Eden Fairground and is just 3 miles from the house. Charley Poole was inducted into the music Hall of fame last year and some say is responsible for the original bluegrass sound heard today. I really don't know that much about him, but I do know there will be many fantastic pickers here, and many of his cohorts from the past show up if they are able. I have a couple of bedrooms available for anyone that plans to come, just let me know, first come, first served.

Bill

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I wish I could come. Sounds like a nice festival for sure. It's awfully nice of you to offer a place to stay, Bill. / ~Sam

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know this may be old info to some, but if you ever get a chance to check out a young musician named
Bela Fleck (His first name is pronounced Bayla).
I understand the kid hails from NYC and plays some pretty interesting jazz, blues and funk banjo.

Can't say I liked all of his stuff, but it sure is impressive.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
bela fleck

i got an album of his maybe 4 or 5 years ago. his group: the flecktones awsomme pickin, but in the jazz idiom
which i like anyway.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
I know this may be old info to some, but if you ever get a chance to check out a young musician named
Bela Fleck (His first name is pronounced Bayla).
I understand the kid hails from NYC and plays some pretty interesting jazz, blues and funk banjo.

Can't say I liked all of his stuff, but it sure is impressive.

I used to watch a show called "Austin City Limits" on public television, and saw Bela Fleck on there.
I hate to admit it was the first time I seriously listened to Banjo music.
Hr's very talented.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bela might be the greatest banjo player alive. He spans many styles of music from bluegrass to classical. I prefer his bluegrass stuff, but he can do it all and do it well.

A friend of mine in New Orleans is an architect and went to college in NY many years ago. While there he participated in many bluegrass jam sessions, and there was this young kid who always came around and wanted to play. The kid had a really poor quality beginner banjo, so my friend loaned him his good banjo because he seemed to have potential as a musican. The kid was Bela Fleck, and they've remained good friends over the years.

Mick

Fran (wife) and I see Bella Fleck every time he preforms in the Detroit area. Last time we saw him he was here with Jean Luc Ponte and Stanley Clark No words to dicsribe it. We had to miss Bella playing with Chick Corea in Lansing MI a couple weeks ago. Still regret not going.

Sponsors