free beer tomorrow

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Hope that got your attention.
Just curious what you guys might have as an opinion, working my way up to engraving guns and getting pretty close. My desire is to do a 1911 kimber because it fits the style that I like better for the scrolls, very flowy/elegant, but i know a derringer would be easier as my first cut. What say you?

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I chose the 1911 for my first gun and I only cut the flats. Nothing special but easy to get past the first gun jitters.

Attachments

• F7727A0A-089E-4842-A7E6-B5C871F08FA6.jpeg
    F7727A0A-089E-4842-A7E6-B5C871F08FA6.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 76

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
i did a brass frame bp pistol then followed that up with a naa mini mag which werent too bad for myself i think i will order a 1911 slide, ive found some anywhere from 129 and up. styles range from classic gi and series 70/80 to modern looking ported slides in both stainless and chromolly so if you didnt want to risk a whole gun just yet thats what i would do oh and i found them on ebay by searching 1911 slide

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I started with a Ruger lcp and then moved on to lc9. Rugers finish on the slides needs work, I completely refinished the slides to a mirror finish by hand and did inlay of fine silver borders and 24K gold model numbers and letters. The reason I chose these models were the up-front cost $200 to 300 dollars, they are popular models that appeal to many shooters and ccw people. The last pistol was a Ruger ec9s nib. And it sold for $860.00 we were haggling. These smaller slides forced me to focus and develop the balance and layout and flow of both the sides and the top of the slide. Theses slides also taught me how to work on the compound radius. The back of the slide I found to be the most difficult due to the multiple angles involved. And if I messed it up it was going to be my very own CCW so no real loss, I still do not have an engraved CCW pistol of my very own as I keep selling them. With each project I learned more time management skills, refinishing skills IE the prep work needed to make a pig’s ear into a silk purse.

Sponsors