French gray ( grey ) finish.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I'm almost ready to put the finish on my project. It's the 10/22 I've been working on for months. I've looked all over for some direction for a French Gray finish but have had no luck. Can I get some basic instruction from someone ? I'm planning on using Birchwood Casey Super blue for the steel and Aluminum black for the aluminum receiver.
I would appreciate some help or I'm just gonna wing it and just hope I don't mess it up.
Thanks , Mark

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm almost ready to put the finish on my project. It's the 10/22 I've been working on for months. I've looked all over for some direction for a French Gray finish but have had no luck. Can I get some basic instruction from someone ? I'm planning on using Birchwood Casey Super blue for the steel and Aluminum black for the aluminum receiver.
I would appreciate some help or I'm just gonna wing it and just hope I don't mess it up.
Thanks , Mark

Hello Mark,
I think you will find several articles on French Gray in the archive tips including two of mine.
However I don't know if they include info on graying aluminium, I know mine don't.
Best of luck with your project and lets see some photos when you're done.
We don't see many engraved 10/22's and it might be an inspiration.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
The Machinery's Handbook had a small section on the 'French grey' for steel, but not aluminum. I know of a firm, but can't recall the name, located in New Kensington, PA that did work for us a while back and their work was great. If they do that color, and have only you for that 'run', you'll pay for the whole basket yourself. A Mil-Spec color approaches the 'grey' but may, or may not be, the color you want. I'd advise to strip down the entire gun, and send the aluminum parts only and consider if you'll need to mask anything off. An FFL may, or may not be, required, for just the parts you need done. A Class 1 holder should know that. Good luck, and I hope it turns out well!

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you will have trouble with the aluminum. The best thing to do is try it on some other piece of aluminum first. Same goes for the birchwood casey blue. Don't try it on the gun first. Acid is bad on aluminum but depends on the acid type. Hydroxide is even worse. Never heard of french grey on aluminum before.

Baloo

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
ok, I went to the tips section of this forum and found four posts about French Gray. I googled French gray several times in the past with no good results. This time I googled " French gray gun finish forum" . I had dozens of posts to choose from. I will definitely make some sample plates to try on aluminum and, ( thanks for the suggestion ) steel too. Hopefully I'll have a finished product to post in the near future. Thanks for all the help, Mark

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alcoa aluminum was in New Kensington,PA. In the 1940,s to the 1970,s . Might still have a plant there. Across the river from my home town. Anodizing for Aluminum is available in many colors including grey. MTC
Raw AL will oxidize if not coated with something.

Latest posts

Sponsors