Frustrated

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Grrrrrr!...... I write a post and before I am through, I have to go back and sign in again and I lose my post that I labored to write. HelllPPPP! This is very frustrating. What am I doing wrong? There is no sign in menu on the post page. How do I save my post so I don't lose it?....... Is anyone else having this problem?............Ron S
This seems to happen every time, and it is much easier just to not say anything.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ron: 99% of the time this happens it's a fault of Internet Explorer and not the forum. Here are a few things to do:

Delete all offline content and cookies in Internet Explorer.
Delete your history in Internet Explorer.
(the above two things can be done via the menu at the top of your explorer window. I'm on a Mac and don't use explorer, so I don't know exactly where they're located).
Make sure when you log on the CHECKBOX is checked that says REMEMBER ME so you won't have to keep logging on again and again.

That should do the trick for you. I know it's annoying and frustrating.

TIP: If you're worried about losing your post before it actually gets posted, launch Notepad and copy/paste your response into Notepad for safekeeping until you're sure your post has been done correctly. If you lose your post, then copy what you have in Notepad and paste it into your reply box and try again. You shouldn't have to do this if you follow the steps above, though. / Sam

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whew!! Thanks gobs Sam! You're a genius!.......... Or maybe I am just a little behind...
Appreciate it to no end. Hate to be talking about computer protocol on an engraving forum........... sorry guys!
Ron S

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
No problem, Ron. If you're having forum problems this is the best place to get them resolved. Sometimes others are having the same trouble, and quite often the solution will help them too.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had the same trouble in the past too. I've gotten around it by hitting the "preview post" button occasionally on the bottom of the page. It has stopped the auto log-offs during the message writing process. I think what happens is that it logs you off in X number of minutes unless you are using the system and it gets confused because it doesn't recognize the writing as interacting. If you hit preview post every couple of minutes while you are gathering your thoughts it recognizes that you are "working" and doesn't log you off.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I've taken to writing most of my post in outlook express (The email window). I've haven't been able to use spell check
on the cafe's email. So I just compose it on outlook express, then copy and paste. Since my email is not web based, I
loose nothing. I can even save it as a draft.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, i don't see a "preview post" at the bottom of the page or anywhere, and am wondering about "bookmarks". I don't find it either, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

Abigail

Administrator
Ron,
After you type in your post, at the bottom you have two options: "Post Quick Reply" or "Go Advanced".
Click on "Go Advanced". Then, at the bottom of that page you will see the "Preview Post" button.
Plus, you have the luxury of using smiley faces and different fonts. or...different sized fonts or colors.
Cheers,
Abigail

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, I tried this out this morning. If you click the "quick reply" button in the post itself you will have the modified screen. If you reply by clicking the "reply" button which is on the left of the page at the top and at the bottom just outside of the comments, then it will take you right to the "advanced" page where you can compose your thoughts and hit the "preview post" at will.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh cool Tira, and the others guys too for the help! You probably saved my life. Since I don't have much hair to pull out, I didn't have any way to vent. Whew! :)

Latest posts

Sponsors