Garage News: birds and more birds

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow Mr. Lee, that's fantastically beautiful and dramatic. The garage has been busy!
I notice a shadow behind the center birds neck.
Does the neck stand out far enough to actually throw a shadow?
Or is the shadow engraved?
Did you go over some of the lower scrolls with ink to strengthen the outline for the picture.
Hope you don't mind the questions.

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is not sculpted. It is an illusion, one of the many that can be created with shading. I am flattered that it might be confused with sculpting....maybe it was at least a trifle successful.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, I think we can go ahead and start getting your name on the plaques for Best of Show and Best Engraved Shotgun for the 2109 FEGA show.

I really think there must be something in that chocolate milk !

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It must be the chocolate milk. It’s hard to imagine it’s all my talent and then it could be the incredibly talented minions I hire who come in at night and work their magic.

Thank you for the thoughtful and encouraging comments.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is the bottom. It presented some real problems. Rust around the dog's legs was deep enough that it could not all be removed. The barrel was rust blued and the receiver hot dipped so I had to blend them do my best to make it look the same. I'm not as happy with the bottom as I am the sides but such is life.

Attachments

• DSC_0675.JPG
    DSC_0675.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 60

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gun is an old one and the rust and poor fit on the bottom can make for a real challenge.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Lee, the birds are amazing it looks like they are fully sculpted. I am in awe.
The poor parts fit on the bottom really detracts from your work but it still is nice.
Leland

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like a self portrait Lee, and you did a masterful job of concealing the rust problem. If the "self portrait" was unintentional, it reminds me of a time I airbrushed a downhill skier on the back of a van ("Snowbound") and when my wife saw it her first comment was "why did you paint your face on it?" I had spent all night painting it and didn't realize what I had done, but the client was well pleased.

Bill

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Beautiful stuff here today.........thanks fine people!!!