Getting High at the Louvre

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I went to the Louvre today…. Well not really but almost.

The High Museum in Atlanta has a special arrangement with the Louvre Museum in Paris to display various pieces over the next five years. The first exhibit is the Decorative Art of the Kings showing collections of Louis XIV, Louis V and Louis XVI. A fantastic treat for the eye in every aspect of visual art to anyone who enjoys beautiful things. But for us engravers, there is much there to study applicable to our art. Scrollwork was there, present in many styles and in many forms. Tapestry, Ceramics, China, Wood Carving, Wood Marquetry, traditional painting, Bronze, Silver and Gold Sculpture along with Marble work were all adorned with various types of scrolls. Quite a bit of hand engraving, some fascinating objects like a Hot Chocolate Silver Service set with scolls and heraldic engraving. Masters of the art, all the scrollwork I saw followed the rules of scroll, with nary a backward turn to be seen. Fantastic chance for one to study a collection of many things normally only seen in Europe. I would highly recommend making a day trip of it for anyone in the area. For $15 admission, it's a steal. Attending the Blade Show? You ought to make plans for this.

Cameras are verboten, so if you want to make a record of something, better plan on taking a pad and pencil.

More info?
http://www.high.org/

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I woulda come looking fer ya, but reckoned you was getting high yourownself flying one of them there F-22 raptors seeing as how the weather was so purty.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone,
couple years ago the Toledo Museum of Art had a collection on display of the engraving work of Hendrik Goltzius. He was a famous Dutch engraver & painter. It was displayed in such a fashion that you could walk up and look at it "nose to nose" from a few inches away. Majority was cut with a single point burin.
It blew me away looking at the detail & wondering how many 100,000 cuts each piece required.
It was cut so even if defies description. I remember it only cost $ 10 to view the exhibit, best $10 I'll ever spend.
Kent

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scroll in Nature

Dear Scott.

I have just received your FEGA DVD on scroll design and enjoyed it very much! I also enjoyed meeting you at the GRS Masters and Bulino sessions last August and appreciated your good humor and good heart. Thanks for being a part of that session.

I am just returned from a visit to New Zealand where I sang in some concerts and then toured around a bit including having a meeting with Andrew and Mary Biggs. The ever-generous Andrew and Mary cooked dinner and later we had a look at some muzzle loaders and followed that with some engraving shop talk. Andrew was full of useful wisdom for me to apply at my bench, and I include a photo or two below.

Knowing that you have a good collection of scroll examples in Nature, I offer this rather clear fern scroll I got on a greeting card there. I took some of my own in the wild, but they do not measure up for clarity like this one.

best

Rod Cameron, flutemaker

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Rod, I was just coincendentally sending you an e-mails at the same time as this. Glad you enjoyed the scroll DVD. It is bit long but I think covers some good material from both the historical and practical perspectives.

thats a neat show of a fern, I wonder what type exactly it is?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rod
It was a real pleasure to have you and Dean around. It was a perfect end to my USA trip having you guys come around for tea a couple of days after I got back. Mary and I both thoroughly enjoyed your company.

Did you get my e-mails?

Not sure what type of fern it is as to me, they're all just all ferns. The Maori name for a scroll is "Koru" and that's taken from the head of a juvenile fern like the picture you've posted. Some of them are eadible as well.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors