Getting started

Robbi.NK

Hi all! I’m interested in getting started with engraving, mainly jewelry and/or western bright cut.
I’ve started working on drawing. My FIL does leather work so I’ve raided his stash of pattern books. But I’d like to take a class to learn about engraving, but I’m restricted to Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta and/or the Dakotas as travel is tough right now. Any help or encouragement is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Robbi, and welcome to the Cafe and to the wonderful world of engraving.
Diane Scalese is one of the best bright cut engravers/instructors and she lives in Montana.
Diane teaches for GRS in Emporia, Kansas.
I don't know if she offers private lessons in Montana but there is no harm in asking her.
You can probably Private Message her through the Cafe membership listings.
Best of luck.

monk

Staff member
welcome. post where you live. perhaps there's an engraving class near to you. there's loads of free videos on you tube. also available, professionally made videos on just about every facet of the engraving art. drawing, tool sharpening,, transfer techniques, and etc, etc. some may be availabe in the buy and sell section of this forum. grs sells some of the very best videos available. the forum boss, sam alfano, has on line videos. there's too much info available now to struggle with the learning curve. good luck

monk

Staff member
Diane Scalese is one of the best bright cut engravers/instructors and she lives in Montana.
I don't know if she offers private lessons in Montana but there is no harm in asking her.
Best of luck.
she also had produced a video on western brite cut. not sure if it's still available

Robbi.NK

Best of luck.
Thank you! I’ll look and see if I can find her!

Robbi.NK

welcome. post where you live. perhaps there's an engraving class near to you. there's loads of free videos on you tube. also available, professionally made videos on just about every facet of the engraving art. drawing, tool sharpening,, transfer techniques, and etc, etc. some may be availabe in the buy and sell section of this forum. grs sells some of the very best videos available. the forum boss, sam alfano, has on line videos. there's too much info available now to struggle with the learning curve. good luck
I’m in Southern Saskatchewan but am originally from Billings, MT area

Latest posts

Sponsors