Getting The Word Out

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Getting The Word Out (and a couple of new pics)

In a recent thread the possibility of a magazine dedicated to engraving was proposed.
The thought crossed my mind (fleetingly, like most of my thoughts these days) that we could actually do a TV show or more precisely, we (engravers) could be featured on a TV show like "How It's Made" or something similar. Any number of styles techniques and artisans could be featured. Though vastly different than a magazine (which is a great idea too) television would really bring some public attention to what we do.

Think about it!

WL

I stuck a couple of pics of recent work on here too. This is a Ruger #1 with my version of bulino and a little Texas Hill Country scroll.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Antelope Matt F 006.jpg
    Copy (2) of Antelope Matt F 006.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Copy of Elk 1.jpg
    Copy of Elk 1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Weldon,

I think that is a good idea, to get it right to the masses is to use what they use most and that is the TV.

Your work is stunning

Cheers

"VAN"

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, VanKnife & MD.
No, I do not currently teach: perhaps in the future (when I've learned a little more).

WL

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Great idea, Weldon. How it's Made is a fine show and one of the programs worth watching.
Bye the way, did you see the episodes about making fire fighters equipment?
They had one on traditional helmets, one on boots and another showed how turn-out clothing was constructed. I thought of you when I saw these episodes.
Thank you for posting the beautiful Ruger #1.
It sure has wonderful rich scroll and a fine traditional look.
Great work, love your version of bulino too.

Best regards, John B.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great idea Weldon!

Nice scrollwork too.

I think How It's Made would be worth contacting. Probably the best way to go for them would be a visit at the start of a project so they can get some footage of design, layout, and initial cutting. Then, considering the time most 'interesting' projects take it'd probably be best for them to just leave a camera set to get a minute or two every now and then to watch the progression with a visit to pick up the camera and shoot the 'now it's finished' bit at the end.

Actually, if they go with someone who has a camera on their scope they just need to have them record so they can pick out the good bits.

BTW, if any of you have never watched How It's Made it'll suck you right in. By description it's just about as stupid a show as it could be - they go to where various things are made and film how it's done. Yup - just what the title says. They add a narrative explanation but it's just a simple overview. The other night I caught one showing fire extinguishers and supermarket donuts. Each segment was only a few minutes. Yet the darn show just has something... Shock absorbers - strip steel getting run through rollers to form tubes, welded shut with a big honkin' copper disk welder, one tube flared to fit over the other, a few simple bits added, very few 'manual' steps... you just can't look away.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr. B! It's so nice to be thought of & thank you for the kind words too!! I have seen the bits on how firefighting equipment is made - wow, a lot of work goes into it! Hope you are doing well!! Next time I'm in CA I will give you a call.

Steve, wonderful ideas! I bet we can get someone interested, perhaps we could even interest the producers in a spin-off, "How Its Made-By Hand"!
I think we may have something here!!

WL

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Weldon, please do give a call when you're in CA. Maybe we can share a burrito.
Love you idea for a spin-off, How it's Made by Hand!
Engraving, jewelery, sculpture, stone carving, wax carving, wood carving...the list goes on.
Sketch and cartoon artists, kneedleworkers, leather carvers, saddle makers blacksmiths and on and on.
You and Steve have a great idea if you can get them interested.

Best, John B.

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr B,

You're onto exactly what I was thinking!

Steve,
Where are you, working or something useless like that??

WL

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Great Idea Weldon, someone out there may know "How It's Done" to contact the right people...
Great work, love to see your engraving...
Jerry

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Great Idea Weldon, Someone may know "How It's Done" out there and can contact the right people...
Thanks for posting your work, great study...
Jerry

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok,

After a little searching, I found the How Its Made forum (believe it or not!).
Following is a copy of my post there. Lets see what happens!

WL

Hi,

Some of my brothers and I over on the "Engraver's Cafe" forum have been tossing around an idea for a spin-off of How Its Made. We propose "How Its Made By Hand". There are quite a number of us who could provide interesting insight into how engraving is done on firearms, custom made knifes, musical instruments, jewelry and so on. Engraving also leads to a whole bunch of folks who create things by hand. I'm not talking about some hokey craft show (nothing against crafts mind you) but high quality works by world class artisans. I believe the average person would be in awe to learn how some of these things are done and stunned at the quality of work being produced by hand right here in the USA.

Thank you,

Weldon Lister

Naturally, we would not want to exclude anyone from participating as there are world-class artisans on every continent (well, not absolutely sure about Antarctica yet, but who knows)! Please excuse my Nationalism!!

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Weldon,

How about posting a link to that forum so we can follow along and see what comments are made.

Thanks,

Ray

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon

I am, indeed, at the place they pay me to be during the week. Being as I do computer 'stuff' I can't really say I'm at work, but if they didn't pay me I wouldn't be here. ;)

Did you drop a link to the Cafe and/or your site over there so they can get tempted by some of the pretty pictures? The Tutorial contest going on over at Steve's forum is another thing to give them an idea of what's done and how we do it.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,

I rooted around and found a Discovery Chanel (the do the Science Channel among others) site where production companies can submit proposals. Even though I'm not a "production company" I went ahead and submitted the concept anyway in hopes that they would catch the vision. Perhaps the folks who do the "How Its Made" series will want to run with it, who knows!

We'll see!!

Speaking of work, I better get my own "rear in gear" and get some done!

WL

tldcowboygear

There is another show that might be an idea, "Made in America" with John Ratzenberger (I think that is his name, the postman from the old sitcom "Cheers" although it would be geared to an engraver of the US it might not hurt to hit them up too.

D.C.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
DC,

Good idea too. I really hope we could get something going that is high profile enough to feature a number of engravers. Many of us have been featured on one of our local tv stations and that's always good, I'm not complaining. However, I am thinking mainstream, something that gets us out of the box (gee I hate that cliche' but oh, well....) and in front of a new audience!!
What I envision is a multiple episode series where folks can watch some projects take shape, see what's involved and that sort of thing. Even what is going on behind the scenes in the engravers personal life might be interesting too. This is a creative process and people find that sort of thing fascinating. Who would think that viewers would want to watch guys on a boat in the middle of the Bearing Sea fishing for crabs(Deadliest Catch)? But they do!( One of my favorite shows by the way).
It would take a while to do but it would be very interesting. Take the Orange County Chopper show for example. The difference is that we would have a number of artisans scattered across the country instead of featuring one shop. The offshoots from this have merit as well. For instance, Montana Watch Company uses some of the finest engravers on their pieces. Several musical instrument makers have custom engraving available. I do work for Tom Ellis on his mandolins (which are $10,000.00 without engraving)! Custom knifemaking is another complete genre to explore. In short, there are enough rabbit trails to go down to make it appealing to a very large market segment which will help sell it to the advertisers who will ultimately underwrite the program.

Food for thought!

WL

monk

Staff member
i think it would fly. most younger folks are totally fascinated with my variety of handwork. none have a clue how it's done, but all are curiously interested. they all ask loads of questions and will watch me doing some of this stuff. weldon: with your skills at scroll and especially the sculpting-you could show one of your bracelets being done. all your work is great, but i think the bracelet concept would be fantastic, as many more people could relate to that as an item of daily use. this is my vote.