Gold and platinum tiger watch finally finished

colinskelly

Tis was probably the most fun I've had on a project in a long time. I learned alot using the lathe and I think I'll be playing with the Smithy mill/lathe combo a lot more very soon. Everything accept the watch movement and crystal installation was done in house at Greenlake Jewelry Works. Usiel Vargas did the cad model and solid scape wax. Tim Donovan Caste the case and case back. And I had the privilege of doing all the goldsmithing, setting and engraving. The dial is made of a platinum disc inlayed with 24kt and 14kt rose gold. Yellow diamonds for the eyes, diamond baguettes for the hours and round diamonds bead set on the watch bezel.
129030.jpg frontblackbackground.jpg frontangleblackbackground.jpg

colinskelly

colinskelly magnificent work! What gauge metal and how deep are the cuts and inlays?
Hello, sorry for the delayed response...I used 20 gauge platinum for the dial. I would have used thinner if I wasn't setting the large bagguette diamonds. I cheated on the inlay by melting the gold into relief engraving. probably only .3mm deep. I've struggled with inlaying 14kt rose gold before and the platinum isn't as hard as I'd like. I find that it work hardened before the platinum could get a bite. most of the engraving is very shallow cuts and dots.

Sponsors