Gold plating gun metal/steel

anvilring

I have a friend hellbent on gold plating firearms after he's engraved them. He wanted to know where to start and ask me, an old manufacturing jeweler for help but back in the day, we/I used cyanide solutions (no longer available). Where would he start to learn how to go about this? Any solution containing virtually ANY acid base will turn the metal (carbon steel mostly although he will surely have orders for plating stainless as well) the instant it's submerged.

Any help appreciated, mitch

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have gold plated with acid solutions for about ten years and never had any problems whatsoever. I never plated any stainless but there is a stainless prep solution that I have and I am sure it works just fine, Steel needs to be copper coated first then nickel plated then gold plated. It does not effect the engraving at all. The secret is to keep the voltrage down and follow all the directions as far as the temp of the solutions goes. I got rid of all my cyanide solutions years ago. Too dangerous for me. I don't do anybody elses stuff but my own any more.
supplies can be obtained from Rio Grande jewelers supply, He will need 2 transformers. One for low voltage 3 volts or less, and one that will put out at least 10 volts for electro cleaning with sodium hydroxide solution.

anvilring

John, is there a book/instructions on "how" to plate a firearm? Brownells maybe?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I don't know if I'm the John you meant ???
But a good and inexpensive book is the Midas Plating Guide available from Rio Grande
It covers Bath plating, Pen plating and Electroforming.

anvilring

Sorry, yes... Jerry (and John!). Thanks for the tip fellows, I will get him going in that direction. He is a jeweler, not a gun smith: really has no practice in polishing / finishing steel. I don't think he has any idea of how fast a carbon steel surface can become negative ( oxidized), and screw up everything.

Latest posts

Sponsors