Gold signet ring

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Deeply engraved 18k die-struck signet ring.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

TOO COOL! I love the intertwined monogram! Wonderful flourishes without being undecipherable. Is the open trapezoid on the side of the ring symbolic or just a design element? Did the ring come from the client, or did you buy it from a jewelry supply house?

Mark

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

TOO COOL! I love the intertwined monogram! Wonderful flourishes without being undecipherable. Is the open trapezoid on the side of the ring symbolic or just a design element? Did the ring come from the client, or did you buy it from a jewelry supply house?

Mark

Mark: Thanks...glad you like it. The open shape is an idea I borrowed from the Colt in Winston's book. The ring is one I had which had never been engraved. I believe it's made by Church & Co.

Andrew & Mike: Thank you :D

~Sam

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Sam! I love the deep engraving, I've been trying to make mine look deeper and bolder, I hate to show my ignorance but what do you mean by " die-struck "? I study your work constantly hoping to get my shading as flawless as yours. I know it's going to take a long time but I'm constantly pushing towards that end. Thanks as always for post your work. Dwayne

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam........absolutley WOW!
I'll bet it was all done with a 120----
Your work with that tool just amazes me to no end.

Thanks for not only the great engraving, but for the 1st rate photography.
I realize the urgent need to be good at picture taking these days, and photography can be a pretty frustrating artform all by itself.
..........................and you it make look easy.

Brian

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
That's super nice. I always enjoy watching your design and execution, superb.

You're already in year 2008? ;)

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Nice Sam, You gave me some ideas on a ring I have from Tiffany that has a crest that was cast when made that needs some help...
Thanks for all the work you put in your web site...
Such a great place to visit and share...
Jerry

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a fantastic design, execution and superbly photographed.

Thanks for showing it Sam.

Peter

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Wauw, that's an awesome design!
Though glad I don't have to ware it, I love the work and design on it and would love to be able to make something half as nice in future.
Last week I delivered my first monogram on a golden cachet ring.
And I had to put a lot of effort to put into the monogram design.
Sam, do you have a book that helps you design monograms? Or does it come natural to you?
I've got a book wit 2000 monograms, but surprisingly he picked the monogram I designed myself.
Some letters just don't seem to mach.

Again, buetifull ring!

Sam

Staff member
Sam, do you have a book that helps you design monograms? Or does it come natural to you?
I've got a book wit 2000 monograms, but surprisingly he picked the monogram I designed myself.
Some letters just don't seem to mach.

Again, buetifull ring!

Daniel: I have a couple of good reference books. One is the International Cyclopedia of Mongrams (out of print), and the other...the name escapes me, but it's available and in our book list in the Tips Archive.

Script stuff comes much easier because I do more of it. These old style monograms do not, and I have to work them up on paper if they're like this one with the heavily intertwining letters. I refered to the books for inspiration and to see how the old styles were formed, and then did my own thing. There are some things I'd change about what I did (which is usually the case!) on this one. One thing I wanted to do was shade or grey the entire inside (between the borders) of one or more of the letters, but was afraid I'd lose it against the black background.

I cut very deep borders with a highly polished square graver, cut my designs with a polished carbide 120° graver, removed the background with a 1/4mm ball burr, and stippled the background with a carbide point.

~Sam

Attachments

• monogram_layouts.jpg
    monogram_layouts.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 61

Andrew Biggs

Another monogram book that's well worth the money is the "Crocker Novelty Monogram System Standard of the World" available at GRS. A cool cheap little book.

I tried engraving a "cast" sterling silver signet ring. It was awful to cut. It was like trying to engrave glue. you didn't so much remove background, you kind of moved it around. It drove me nuts in the end and the finished result was quite dissapointing.

It seems for engraving purposes that "die struck" rings are a lot nicer to engrave.

Cheers
Andrew

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam and Andrew,

I'll try to get these books.

Daniel

P.s. Got the "advanced drawing of scroll's" and a few other books today!:D
I know what Ill be doing at christmass!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That ring is an absolute knock out!!!
I have several books on monograms and cyphers and it seems like every time I have to cut one I end up designing it myself because, in spite of thousands of combinations in the books, they never have the exact one I need.
Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors