Good idea... Remote controlled switch

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I decided to move my air compressor to the basement so I can get away from the noise and the induced vibration it causes (especially under high magnification).

Just in case you are interested...

I found a remote controlled switch that will handle 1800W and 15A that will handle the 12.5A of my compressor for about $30 shipped.

It's the UPM RC420+TR310 which is available several places on the Web:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's an interesting idea. here's another make/model: http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v489-8110/dust_collection

in woodworking tools, they make a variety of these remote switches for turning on a dust collector or vac, just search "remote dust collector switch". they're commonly available for 110v & 220v eqpt. they even make them so that your dust collector (or in this case, your air compressor) will switch on automatically whenever you switch on your power tool, be it a table saw, sander, or gravermax. most of this type are made so that you plug both tools into a common box, but i think somebody makes a fully remote unit- i just couldn't find it.

one caveat, if anybody is going to experiment this type of set-up: air compressors generally do NOT like being shut-off mid-cycle by simply cutting the power (it leaves the pressure switch loaded, instead of allowing air to bleed off. that's the little 'pfffft' of air you hear every time your compressor shuts off). if you're going to use an automatic slave switch for this purpose, i'd strongly recommend listening to make sure your compressor is not running when you shut off your engraving machine. in fact, ANY remote switch is only a power switch- not a pressure switch, and should not be turned off while the compressor is running.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
in fact, ANY remote switch is only a power switch- not a pressure switch, and should not be turned off while the compressor is running.

I checked my manual and I think it should be OK if I wait until the compressor is stopped before shutting it off as you mentioned.

SHUT-DOWN
NOTE: NEVER stop the air compressor by unplugging it from the
power source. This could result in damage to the unit.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, you have that exactly right. if the compressor is running when you want to quit, wait until it shuts itself off when it reaches its max pressure, then turn off the power with your remote switch. that way it won't be able to come back on throughout the night, or whenever, if you have a small leak in the system.

Latest posts

Sponsors