Gothic engravings

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Here are is a scan from Late Gothic Engravings of Germany & The Netherlands
by Lehrs, Max
with an essay by A. Hyatt Mayor, curator of prints, Metropolitan Museum

You'll see the same book listed with either Lehrs, or Mayor.

This is an old Dover publication, 8 1/2 x 11 format. I could not find it on Dover's webste, but found half a dozen copies on ABE Books( http://www.abebooks.com ).

This book is not for the faint of heart. It has Saints and Dragons, Churches, some animals, a fair amount of foliage in different styles. The illustrations are quite clean, tho' printed on a cream paper, making scans a little harder to get good contrast. This is a marvellous collection if you are interested in that old world way of doing things.The anatomy of the people and animals are a bit awkward, but you know what the picture is trying to convey.Perspective was not fully understood at this point.

Tom

Last edited:

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
No, Marcus, it was pub in 1969, and there is only a Library of Congress number: 67-24776

It doesn't look to be in print anymore. But IS available used.

Rabbit roasting the hunter on a spit:

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
D*mn you. I just logged off of Abebooks 5 minutes ago, after spending $100, and you go and post this and force me to log back on and spend more money. Good thing my wife isn't around and she won't see the credit card bill till next month.

:D

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Well, sorry to make you strain your credit card, but I really am enamored with this book. I am willing to scan a few more images. looking for anything in particular?

If I had to say how much is material is of interest to me I'd break it down like this:
floral/leaf 5%
Saints and religious 80%
scenes from Gothic life 10% (battle, dames and squires, etc)
Animal 5% (fox/rabbit/bird etc)

In and around the saints, of course, are borders, banners, foliage; horses and dragons are not scarce, either.

As a pattern book, it would fail. But as a resource, it is an unparalleled idea book for the storytelling engraver.

I hope this helps you make up your mind.

Tom