Question: Gravermeister for Bright Cut ?

rfattig

I am trying to learn Bright Cut using my 8-1200 Gravermeister. I find that it stalls out on any deeper cut with my 915 handpiece. GRS has been extremely helpful, to the extent that they let me use a 509 handpiece which has ripped through any thing I put in front of it. It has a pretty extreme vibration though, which aggravates my arthritis.

My question is, is there a middle ground? Would a 712 cut copper and silver without the physical effects?

Are any of you bright cut engravers using a gravermeister ? with what handpiece ? and what geometry?

I would really appreciate any guidance - am really getting frustrated.

Roger

Last edited:

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I use a gravermeister with an upgrade kit with a 901 hand piece without any problems.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
not to be an ass but I used one for 7yrs. had it rebuit and used it somemore. then sold it for $700. its a good machine. I recomend the 915 hand peice. as far as the bog, the folk at grs are being nice If its bogging down doing bright cuts, its operator error and you not using the ball to your advantage.

rfattig

Griff,

That's not being an ass, that is exactly what I need to know. Thank you.
Roger

rfattig

Griff,
Could you give me a recommendation for a face angle and heel ? Thanks

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
i like 45 face and 15 heel. If i have to engrave around raised scrolls and such i go to a 17.5 heel. if im using a tungsen carbide graver i use a 60 for the face.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used an old 8-1200 Meister for many years. I used only the old cylindrical handpieces. I was told by my GRS rep that if I wanted to update to the high speed valve I could not use the old handpieces. I am wondering if the newer handpieces like the 915 work correctly with the low speed unit.

Rather than getting the HS valve and new handpieces I realized it was time to upgrade to a newer system. I still have the old Meister but hardly use it anymore.

I am inclined to agree with Griff that the bogging is caused by your technique. I have never had my Meister stall on anything.

RB

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,
Specifically, do you feel I am trying to cut too deep then?

That would be my guess. The bright cut gives the illusion of depth but is actually fairly shallow. It is the flairing of the cut that makes it look deep.

It is really hard to say without seeing your work. Also I'm not sure about that 915 attached to the slow speed unit.

RB

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
bring your tools to a high degree of polish and try a bit of lube. that may help.and i must ditto with the others, that meister aint going to "bog", unless you're really violatin the laws of fissicks here when you're doing your cuts.

rfattig

Haraga,
Copper. Aluminum not so much. Havent tried silver, just ordering my first.

Roger,
The rep at GRS told me the shorter stroked 915 doesn't like the slower cycling of the 8-12 too much so that may be a factor as you suggest.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Roger

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors