Gravermeister handpiece question

SteveBal

Hi all- I'm brand new to all this and trying to gather equipment, etc. I have an older Gravermeister machine, but when I look up modern palm handpieces, they all seem to say "Not compatible with Gravermeister" I'd like to get some understanding of why that would be and what's different. What do I need to look for if I want compatibility with this machine?

Hoping someone can educate me on this.

SteveBal

I'll try that. I see they do list a couple on the GRS site that are compatible, I just don't understand why others aren't.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gravermeisters are a 'negative pressure' system, with the spring behind the piston in the handpieces. The motor pulls an intermittent vacuum that draws the piston back, then the spring drives it forward.

Gravermaxes and their variants are 'positive pressure' systems where pulses of compressed air drive the piston forward and a spring pushes it back.

To tell if a handpiece is for one or the other, unscrew them and see if the spring is ahead or behind the piston. And no, you can't swap them from one system to the other by switching the spring position. As the GRS sales joke goes, "Do you want one that sucks, or one that blows?"

Aventuraal

You should probably start with the 901 handpiece; it will do most anything from very fine and light to pretty heavy, using the qc holders makes changes quick, and easy. The drawback is the need for individual holders for each tool, and they are somewhat costly. but you only buy them once. If you are doing really heavy work, the QC large is definitely a powerhouse, and uses the same holders/tools. Occasionally, you will see a used original handpiece on E bay, it doesn't use the holders, and the chuck system will hold most anything that will fit into it, square or round. Rarer still is the bulino handpiece, which uses a tool clamped into the handpiece directly, and is for extremely fine work. (Although GRS now says the 915 is as capable as the discontinued bulino handpiece). I have all 4, and use them all for various things. Which valve system does yours have, the original 1200 stroke one, or the upgrade 2400 one? If this is an older unit, you might want to change the felt filters and possibly the hoses and the oiler wick as well. GRS can help you with what you need.

SteveBal

Thanks for that. I was thinking I had seen that the 901 wasn't compatible, but I do see the 915 on their site, although on back order. A good friend and jeweler is thinking of retiring and he has used the Gravermeister for many years. I put out the word hoping he might part with a handpiece. I do have the older 1200 stroke model, and I see I can get an upgrade kit for it. I'd really like to just get a start and see where it takes me.

Sponsors