Grip cap design , opinions please.

Mattymo, I'm very new to the craft , could you explain what you mean as a crescent. This is my first attempt at engraving and the piece is for myself. 303 stainless material was purchased for the end product . Thank you for your contribution in this discussion. MS

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Mattymo, I'm very new to the craft , could you explain what you mean as a crescent. This is my first attempt at engraving and the piece is for myself. 303 stainless material was purchased for the end product . Thank you for your contribution in this discussion. MS
Basically just shift your design clockwise within the oval to try how that looks.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Although it is not a classic scroll design it looks interesting. It also looks like you are drawing a finished design with shading, correct? Pencil drawing shading can be done with the side of the pencil or smudged with the finger but engraving shading is almost exclusively done with fine lines (thin to thicker). If you are trying to depict the finished product I suggest that you draw your shading as lines. You will find it to be a tremendous help when you start cutting metal.

Dan

Thank you dcurrie911 for your contribution. I know it's a rather simple design and doesn't remotely compare to the quality of site members work. What if I may ask , would be the best blacking solution for stainless? Thank you for your consideration. MS

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
There are lots of methods for blackening. I usually use Rustoleum Flat Black paint for Stainless. But back to your design. I’m looking at the one on the left,, in the 4 corners you show darker shading than the portions inside which Are lighter grey. what is your plan to accomplish that with the graver?

Dan

To be very honest I have not advanced to shading and may not be able to duplicate what is on paper. One thing for sure , two inches on paper will keep me busy for some time. Looking forward to the challenge.