::::Pledge Member::::
Try this again

Attachments

• 2019-04-09 15.37.30.jpg
    2019-04-09 15.37.30.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 107

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
paps, what I see is the eye it needs work, and maybe more contrast where one feather lays over another. Finish this one then do the same grouse again using what you learned. Keep in mind I am just trying this too so I could be wrong.
Leland

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
the eyes are a sore spot for me, I work around them and end up getting into the space............then %#**!!!!! is what you get. I even outlines around the eye first.......and the plowed right into the rear quarter.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK here is my take on what is going on here We have two problems to solve first is how to draw the animal and secondly graver control This is nothing new to beginning engravers and artists
My suggestions are, first take a pencil and learn how to draw the animal this will develope your eyehand coordination do it at a comfortable size for you once you feel comfortable drawing, now take a felt tip pen and draw it with lines as if you might be engraving it. This will help you understand what works for you and not works you are developing analytical skills as you go along lastly now try to engrave the animal work from a photograph not someone elses drawing
This will take time but in the long run you will be a better artist for it your proportions and lines will be more effective

Just food for thought take it or whatever

JJ Roberts

I agree with Marty you need to learn how to draw before you start engraving even practice plates if you don't learn how to draw you will not be successfully at engraving. J.J.

monk

Staff member
drawing anatomy is critical. i didn't even consider the eye. to me, the bird body shows no detail that appears realistic.do as fancy gun said, you'll see far better results. if one cant do it on paper, all the more troublesome to try on metal. good luck.

JJ Roberts

Also recommend get friendly with a taxidermist and draw the animals and birds. J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

I recommend these books on drawing animal anatomy,How to Draw Animals by Jack Hamm and Drawing Mammals by Doug Lindstrand.You've all have seen the beautiful engravings of some of our Cafe members they went out of there way to learn how to draw. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors