GRS 710 handpiece vs 901

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone know the differences in power and control of the two handpieces. GRS desription is rather vauge. I use the 710 now and wondered if the 901 would be much if any different. Thanks Ken

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What are you doing with it? The 901 is a GREAT all around handpiece. For most general stuff it does it all. Also, the new Magnum is great too.. If you are doing western stuff, I guess I would advise the Magnum but the 901 is great for just about all else. The new ones are just SO smooth and the power range is great. I like to use the Magnum but my main reason is that I just like the way it feels in my hand. I think most prefer the 901 however.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hope some others pipe in here as well but yes, the 901 would have better shading control but even the Magnum has much better control than the 710. I think Diane Scalese uses the Magnum but I won't swear by that. My feeling has been if you are only going to have one handpiece, then get the 901. If you are going to have two, get the Magnum and Monarch. I can do most all of my shading with the Magnum if I want. It might not be as good for bulino work but can be done. As I said, I have my personal preferences, but I would think the Magnum would be better suited for western silver work. Its got POWER plus is super smooth.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I may be the odd duck (boy did I leave myself open) because I prefer the magnum and use it for almost everything including scroll shading. I also engrave at slower stroke speeds than perhaps most. Since getting the magnum I haven't used my 901. I do use the monarch ocassionally.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, you KNOW I have to comment on the odd duck thing.....
Actually, I won't. Like you I just find I like the Magnum for almost everything. I too run my stroke speed a bit slower than others. Maybe it's because we are both a little slower?? Most of my work is on firearms and I find I can do the rough stuff and the shading just fine. If I have to do real fine shading or gold work I grab the Monarch but I could probably do it with the Magnum as well.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I posted a picture of my odd duck a while back. Hmmmmmmmmm

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the 901 and Monarch almost exclusively but sometimes you just have to have that extra power especially with heavy background removal or chequering bolt handles and here the Magnum wins hands down!

diane

Hi Ken. Good question. As you already have the 710, you may want to get the 901. That said, I use the Magnum for almost everything. Like Rex said, the range is amazing - it can flare-cut steel and still make delicate cap cuts. I like the weight of the Magnum and , because I use the barrel end, I never have to worry about repositioning gravers when I go back and forth from flats to squares. (You do this a lot with the flare-cut style and when doing background removal.) For some steel engraving I like the feel of the traditional shape of the 901. I also prefer the lighter feel of the Monarch or 901 when doing lettering. For me it comes down to reasons other than the range of power.

It is not too long until the Sheridan Show. Jerry Valdez will be demonstrating at the show, and he does tradiional steel engraving as well as being an accomplished silver engraver. It would be a good opportunity to try the different hand pieces.

Hope this helps. Diane

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
I use the magnum exclusively 'cause it's the only hand piece I have. I am curious about stroke speeds tho'. I seem to like 2300 for most cutting and about 3300 for shading. The type of cutting I do is different than most and I've only been useing this thing for a few months. What kind of spm do y'all get along best with?.

Cody

AllanFink1960

Hey Diane, since you brought up the barrel handle on the Magnum, I was curious about when you would want to use it and when you would not? I havent tried the barrel handle on mine yet so I dont know how it feels or if it acts any differently. Does it affect the cutting at all? or just the feel of it in your hand? The wee bit of documentation didnt really say much about it. And did you find a need to file off the round part of your handles to create a flat side?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cody,
That's about what I use, although it's a matter of personal preference. I'm not sure I even look anymore at the SPM but 2300 is about right. Maybe I use less than 3300 for shading but if it works for you, fine. With this handpiece, it doesn't seem to matter as much. It cuts smooth at all SPM.

diane

I use the barrel handle because it better mimics bright cutting by hand. The "scooping" motion that gives the best, brightest cuts, and the abrupt exists that are needed, are more easily accomplished with the barrel shape. It is the way it is held in your palm. I am not sure of any advantage of the barrel handle when doing traditional single point engraving. In that case, it is pure habit for me. There is no disadvantage that I am aware of. If you bright cut, you should give it a try.
Diane

diane

Hi Norm. The show in Sheridan, WY is May 18 - 20. It is the Rocky Mountain Leather Show. GRS sets up a booth so that folks can give engraving a try. Diane