GRS Beginners Class

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I have signed up for the the GRS beginners class in April of 07 and was wondering what I can do between now and then to get prepared for the class.

msar24

I took the calss back in March and asked the same question. Depending on what you plan to engrave might have some bearing on the answer but the scroll desgin books by Ron Smith and the Art of Engraving by Meeks. Then get yourself some drawing paper, good pencils and pink erasers and draw as much as possible between now and the class. Also checks Sam's website for other tips and tricks.

Books are available at several locations including the FEGA website and GRS. I'm sure they can be found at other places on the internet as well.

If you are attending the class the Rex is teaching it will be a lot of fun. I went to the class never having even used or seen a graver other than pictures.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
What your asking, is sort of a really big question.
Since your going to GRS to study, I would suggest that you get
"GRS Engraving Methods & Techniques" by Don Glasser.
This is a VHS set of two.
You can get it from GRS or a local jewellery supplier.
Watch it three or four times and then try to do what Don suggest.
Jim

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Instructors that teach GRS beginners classes assume that students have zero experience. While any preparation you do such as drawing and/or familiarizing yourself with equipment can be to your advantage, it is not necessary. I can't speak for the other instructors, but I prefer to teach someone who's never touched a graver as opposed to someone who may have developed bad habits and/or poor form.

Watching Don Glaser's video is certainly good advice.

~Sam

Mick

I took a beginning class afew years back and found that everything I tried to teach myself was not quite right and I had to forget it all and approach as a novice. If I were to do it again I would look at as much engraving as possible to get all geeked up. Go take the class THEN read Meek's book. Made ALOT more sense after the class. When you get home dazzle your friends and family with the practise plate from class and start engraving every shinny metal surface you can find.

Norm

I took the basic engraving class with Sam in 06 and had absolutely no experience. I was thoroughly impressed not only with the class and instruction, but also my own progress. I was really surprised at how much course content there was and that I was able to pick it up!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bama,
Two thumbs up to you for coming into the engraver fold. I'm a self taught hobbiest who has taken two classes. Every moment has been a great ride. Before long all your friends and family will have projects for you to do (as a favor):p

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I want to second what Sam said. Many if not most of my students come in with zero experience and the class is structured for such students. Time spent with a pencil copying scroll even tracing it is time well spent. It will begin the muscle memory of well formed scroll and nice smooth flow.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are taking the first class in April, you might consider bribes to the teacher.
:)
Seriously, as the others said you don't need to bring anything. I also suggest studying good engraving and try to draw it. The best tools for a beginner engraver is a pencil and paper. If you try to copy engraving on paper it will help you learn design by default.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with the other instructors here. Study good engrqaving look at as much ornimental scrolls you can even on buildings and such, and draw,draw ,draw. You might consider ordering Ron Smiths book on scroll design, the first one not the advanced . Christian

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the replies. I have been building Early American Long Rifles for about 30 years and have engraved the patch boxes of the last few with a square graver and chasing hammer. I have Meeks book but found it left me with a lot of questions. I took a beginners engraving course under Mark Silver a couple of years ago which helped me have an idea about how to sharpen the graver and do layout but I am not satisfied with my progress so that is why I decided to do the GRS course. Sam I no doubt have probably picked up some bad habits but will do my best to break them. I think Scot Pilkington is going to be the instructor for the class I am taking. I am familiar with Scot a little from my association with 3P air rifle. I was not aware that he was an engraver also, I am looking forward to the class.

Thanks again to all that responded

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
DRAW.........DRAW..........DRAW and then DRAW some more.. No matter how long you have been engraving, or any art form for that matter, you can never do enough drawing. It's a quick easy way for you to play with designs and details and most importantly, it keeps the eye, hand and mind coordination going. It's also great for conquering bordom.

Latest posts

Sponsors