GRS Magnum handpeice

castagnos&s

I have a question about using the magnum handpeice to cut inlay channels into 1018 mild steel. I am primarily a western silversmith/ bit and spur maker. Right now I have a 901 and it works OK but i was wondering if a magnum would be better suited to this task, also is it more practical for relief engraving(scroll backbones, background removal, etc.) I usually inlay 20 gauge fine silver sheet so my channels are fairly substantial. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, The Magnum is a mixed bag of tricks.
You can do pretty fine line shading or you can use it like a D9 bulldozer.
I can't say if the Magnum is better suited for mild steel.......because it's mild steel.
The 901 is about as good a weapon for that, but when you get into some tougher materials,The Magnum is THE BIG DOG to run with.

P.S. I notice your location is listed as "The middle of nowhere". How do you know if your actually in the middle of it?

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If your mild steel is similar to the GRS practice plates I can tell you that the Magnum will rip through it with great glee.

One interesting thing I found - I normall cut at around 3300 SPM but when I went to cut one of the GRS practice rings the brass is so soft it was like working with half-melted butter. Turned down to the 1400 SPM I usually use for stippling and it cut much better.

But I also found that I can make heavier cuts in the steel plates at the same setting. I think it's because while there are fewer strokes (thus giving me more control in soft materials because it's not moving as fast) each stroke hits harder (thus moving faster through tougher material).

At home I have a Magnum and a Monarch. I usually switch to the Monarch for shading but if there's only a little bit I often don't bother - the Magnum can shade just fine.

Latest posts

Sponsors