Grs standard sharpner fixture?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you check with Progress, I think that you will find that they have mis-labeled this item. What's shown is the Quick Change Sharpening Fixture which normally sells in the $150 range.

However, you might get lucky, and they might honor the posted price. If so, the answer to your question would be yes - and snap it up...

You will however, need to begin a collection of collets to put your gravers in. They can get expensive. I quit when I owned about 200 of them and switched to a method that does not require them.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School, Stockton, CA - USA
instructor@jewelryartschool.com - 209-477-0550

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think someone messed up there. That is the GRS quick change fixture they have pictured which I beleive sells for around $169

I have one of each and there is no comparison to the dual angle. I have a great deal of trouble working with the quick change fixture. For one it takes a bit to index everything in and set it up and you have to have every bit put in every QC holder exactly the same for it to be repeatable. Then there are the pre set index notches which are never where I want them and seem to be more of a hinderance than a help.

In my oppinon GRS should drop this one and just stick with the dual angle fixture. The dual angle is a great fixture.

Their standard fixture is good but it is limited. For flats and square gravers its great...but to do custom angles you have to start tilting the base of the post and measuring/guessing angles. It becomes a task at that point.

Steve Lindsay is about to come out with a new fixture the end of Jan. He is sending me one to field test for him. I have no idea what it is like or what it will cost but you are supposed to be able to do any angle or configuration with it. I beleive it also has presets for his patented point. Once my test model gets here and I have time to run it through its paces I can give more info.

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian one of these days I'm going to have to learn to out type you.

Glad this wasn't pistols at high noon I'd be dead.:D

Ray

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys I was wondering why it looked as technical as the dual angle.I'll get the dual angle,I am not a rich man and try to save money where I can.Lindays system is supposed to be revolutionary but I dont have a fixture now and don't wish to wait two months for one.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I agree that the dual angle is the best of the GRS fixtures. However, there are some engravers like Bob Finlay and Chris DeCamillis that swear by their Quick Change fixtures. I guess it's what you get used to, but I use the dual angle fixtures in my studio and love 'em.

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Sam ----- like my ol grandmother use to say, you can get use to hanging if you hang long enough. I think I'll wait for Steve's fixture. Ken

Magnus Jensen

I use them both, the QC for gravers used for stone setting and it works fine. And the upper hand is that it is much faster then the Dual angle, but one has to take care to mount the gravers in the QC-holders straight otherwise one will build in inaccuracies in the system.
For engraving my choice is the Dual angle since it is a bit more accurate and I don't mind of the extra time that I have to put on sharpening since I don't need to re-sharp as often when I do engraving.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I use the dual angle for one reason only over the quick change. I still like doing push
engraving for some things. You can't get a push graver into the QC without taking off the
handle. It's real nice having an finely sharpened push graver.

Latest posts

Sponsors