Gun finishes

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd stay away from the Henry brand, bad metal with inclusions and such. There are existing threads on this in the archives. You might want to try a search to find it. The Henry yellow boys are not real brass by the way in case you consider one of those.

If you put an ad in the trader or your local classifieds asking for guns to buy you may have better luck. I got a few shotguns that way cheap.

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
Depends on who built it as to what the finish is. Many newer ones have powder coat paint, others have a new paint-like baked-on bluing (actually black) that does lay on top of the metal surface. There are some with eletro-plate and some with chemical plating as well. Without knowing exactly what each finish looks like, you don't have much choice but to question the mfg as to what they applied.

Old guns are finally bringing money again and while it's not good for you, it's a good thing for some of us. SxS doubles are back in high demand again, in the last two years selling prices have doubled and then some. My old 1903 Eibar 12ga I purchased for $125 about 8 years ago will now easily bring $750. A rabbit ear Krupp in good condition you couldn't get $150 for 10 years ago you won't touch now for less than $1500 unless you find someone who doesn't know what they have.

Gun shows bring top dollar for old guns. Everyone has an abundance of new generic guns and dealers are in price wars trying to move their inventory. It's all relative, old guns are now in short supply and for those who prefer a vintage gun to a new one will gladly pay premium prices to get what they want. Cost of doing the shows has also cause a considerable increase in prices. $3/gal fuel, insurance, motel & show table rent, dealers have to pass their costs on or there's no point in even going to the show. Last show I did, I only had one table and for a two day show an hour drive from my house I had $250 in costs to recover before I would turn a profit. Between the price wars and customer's having less money to spend, I ended up $130 in the hole on that show.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
beegee...I would suggest you start off on cheap mild metal practice plates...I buy them at the iron works in town. Also if you go to the top of the forum here you'll notice a section just on suggestions on guns that are engraveable and ones that are not. There are guns out there today made of terrible material so I would suggest you practice on metal plates..I know it is tempting. I spent my 1st couple of years just on practice plates, and then picked up parts from the gun shows..learned how to polish them by hand, and started to engrave them. This is not going to happen overnight to achieve success...keep practing, build up your confidence, and it all will fall into place for you..Show us your practice plates, and we will critique them for you.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
Practice plates

I have done a bunch of practice plates and continue doing them in brass, copper and steel. I'm looking for an old gun to use in laying out patterns, something that works better on a real thing than on a practice plate. Once I get my skills built on practice plates, I'd like to have an old gun to try different things on. Several years ago, I threw away an old Spanish S&W copy .38 that had the cone blown out of it. I wish I'd kept it.

coinguy

Hi - I have some cut-off barrels that I have been saving for practice, but I could spare a couple for you. We bob rib-less shotguns for home defense shotguns and I have a small pile of them now at the shop.

I've picked up a number of cylinders and other parts to practice on, still working on plates right now but figured the scrap parts would be a logical progression.

I plan on working on some cap 'n ball revolvers soon as well. You can pick up brass framed ones pretty cheap, even just the parts. Some of the steel ones are surface hardened to very tough, some are not, but the brass ones should be fine. The Henry's you mention, along with many other guns on the market today, are indeed a painted on finish rather than a blued surface.

Glen

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
I have an old Remington bolt-action .22 that belonged to my grandfather. It has a star made from a silver dime inlaid in the stock. After I get better at this, I may try engraving that. I also have several older shotguns and a pre-trooper Colt 357 and an H&R .22. I think I want to work on some really junky pieces before tackling anything of value. There are a couple of gun stores nearby that have lots of older pieces. I can probably pick up a cheap shotgun at the local flea market.

Latest posts

Sponsors