H&k P47

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A client of mine wants to have his H&K P47 engraved. I don't have any experience with any of the H&K guns,and I'm not sure they can be engraved.
(I did have a rather nasty experience with a Glock a long time ago----it still gives me nightmares)

Does any one have any experience with the H&K's?

Brian

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian,
As far as semi-automatic rifles they're usually stamped out of sheet metal..usually Parkerized. I am really curious Brian and Marcus how does one engrave a Glock..aren't they made of plastic??? I seriously think we should get a list together of guns to avoid to engrave. I get a lot of requests to do certain guns, and I absolutely refuse to do modern guns for instance..a young lady NY police purchased a Smith & Wesson with an aluminium frame, and asked if I would engrave it...I told her I would engrave one if it was made of steel. Be careful of the firearms that you work on especially the new ones...I try to keep my fellow engravers and gunsmiths out of trouble. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I seriously think we should get a list together of guns to avoid to engrave.

JJ: A list like this would be a godsend for many engravers. Would you consider starting one? The list could grow as more engravers contribute information. Perhaps a short description could be used if necessary, like:
----------------
S&W Model 29 .44 mag = All parts engravable.

Colt 1911 Govt Model = Engravable, but expect engravable spot-hardened areas on slide near muzzle and ejection port.

Colt .45 SAA = Engravable barrel, backstrap, triggerguard. Case hardened frame requires filing or annealing prior to engraving.
----------------

If you'll do this list you'll be a hero! Are you interested? / ~Sam

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"The List" would be fantastic....Go to it!

As far as engraving a Glock---They are 80-90% steel. The steel grip frame is encased in a polymer resin.
(The media still does a good job of selling the Plastic Gun hype,though none exist)

And the all steel slides ARE HARD! Harder than a Ruger Red Label. (Another gun to stay away from)
Brian

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
Another one you can add to the list is the RUGER saa .I have found that the frames have several voids that are not detectable until you start engraving also the older Rugers are very hard to cut .the new Rugers saa are a lot better to engrave , I just finished one and it cut like a colt .. ron p.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That would be great to have a list. I am not yet at the skill level to cut my guns, but I was wondering how they would cut.

I have in stainless a Colt Gold Cup Series 80 National Match, a Ruger SP101 .357, a newer Ruger Single Six 22/22 mag, and a Sig Sauer P230SL.

Thanks,
Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
A couple of ideas that some of the newer gun engravers might find handy.
Be carefull and look at the INSIDE of the gun or part before starting to engrave or inlay.
Just an instance, Browning semi-auto square back (old style FN) shotgun receivers.
Near the front they have one area that is almost paper thin from heavy mill cuts inside.
The guns usually cut fine but it is easy to over do it in this area if you don't look inside first.
A way I use to check guns that I don't have a history with is to make a few hidden cuts in non-criticial
areas inside the reciever or slide.
Or on the thickness of the tang under the stock or grips in a hidden place.
This is old news to the old dogs but might help some of our newer friends to gun cutting.
Some guns, such as all Rugers, vary between batches of the same model.
I will never commit to cutting any Ruger without making a few hidden test cuts.
Even then they fool me sometimes so I totally avoid them except for established clients.
Just some fuel for the fire, have fun.
John B.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam,
Love to contribute to the list of firearms to avoid..Ron is right about Rugers they are super hard. The ones that I have engraved I used a hammer and chisel. The new rifles called the Henrys that are made in Bklyn, NY are made of some pot metal and are brass plated..to be avoided. Bob Evans, historian, of FEGA warned us in a newsletter when these guns 1st came on the market. Any Winchester model 94s after 1964 also avoid. I am glad to see the rest of the members are tuning in on this as it is an important subject. I think it would be good also to discuss guns that are easier to engrave. Keep up the good work everyone, and have a safe and happy week-end.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

Latest posts

Sponsors