Hammer and Chisel Bench

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
A couple years ago I asked the forum members about a kick wheel vise for H/C engraving. John B. very kindly sent me a set of plans and photos of his kick wheel setup. I wanted to make mine portable and somewhat primitive looking so I could use it at black powder rendezvous. This is what I came up with instead of just a straight shaft I made a gear drive that over drove the vise. 1 Turn of the kick wheel turns the vise 3 turns. couldn't keep it simple. It works great for what I want to do with it.
John B. thanks for your help and all you do for all of the engraving community.
Leland

Attachments

• Hammer Bench.jpeg
    Hammer Bench.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 105

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Leland, I meet Neil Hartliep at an NRA show in Philly he used a kick wheel vise he let me give it a try with H&C I did not do well rather work at my pedestal vise glad it works for you. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
J J I agree that the pedestal vise is easier to use but I tried to do a portable pedestal couldn't stop the rebound and vibration. If it is heavy enough to take the hammer blows even tiny hammer blows it would be to heavy to load. I'm 60 years old I'm down to lifting semi heavy things. I won't be replacing my Lindsay anytime soon this is just for demonstrations and a little change of pace.
John B. and monk 2 of the people that help the most both singing the praises of the other great people that happen to be engravers, thanks to both of you.
Thanks, Leland

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you for your kind and generous words, Leland.
As a 90 year old, I know what you mean about lifting heavy stuff.
My vise has been eating well and gains about 10 LBS each day!!

Keep on producing great work with your foot wheel and post some of it on the Cafe, please.
Hope to get to see how you rigged the gear train to your bench.
Belt or gear drive?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Flint, The pedestal I made with four two by six's 40"" filed with bricks with a LeTourmeau 45 lb. engraving vise mounted on it and no problem with vibration you can walk around and cut scrolls with out stopping just one pass and I find standing over the the work I get nice round back bone with no flat or elbows I've found that sitting and tap and turning engraving was not the way to go for me. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors