Question: Hammer and Chisel Engraving

BunLevittron

Hello all! I am an amateur, self-taught graver, new to the hobby. I mostly learned it so that I could pave set gems for the rings I make. I have made all my gravers from old screwdrivers, and have a couple of bits I ordered online that I stuck in handpieces. I am also going to make some more gravers from some O1 tool steel I bought. I'm a college student, and as you can probably tell, my stuff is extremely low-budget. My question for anyone here is, what kind of magnification do you like to work with? I currently have a magnification visor that I'm not a fan of, and a basic bench magnifier that I use a lot, but tends to get in the way. Any recommendations?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
BunLevittron,Try to get with an engraver who can guide you and save you from making mistakes and there are better steel for making gravers then screwdrivers. J.J.

BunLevittron

BunLevittron,Try to get with an engraver who can guide you and save you from making mistakes and there are better steel for making gravers then screwdrivers. J.J.
Mister Roberts,

I appreciate the insight! I have moved on from screwdrivers and have picked up some O1 tool steel. The reason I was using old screwdrivers is because it was all I had, and I've had plenty of blacksmithing experience. Unfortunately, there really aren't many engravers out in Arizona that I am aware of, even less so that would take an apprentice.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the chosen magnification would depend on your eyesight as well as what it is you're working on. hobos require more (for me ) and maybe none for a guitar pickguard. micromark sells loupes that are adjustable from .5 to 4x. i don't know the working distances. they look like ordinary eyeglasses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors