Hammers with a question

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Happy New Year
These quick photos are of the engraving hammers I use. The two on the left are my first and second hammers, going lighter in weight and smaller face, the furthest left is now my bench hammer with a more rigid handle. The little hammer I've been meaning to make a more comfortable handle so don't use it. The old hammer on the far right is my go to hammer for H/C work. Now the question is the big mamma jamma in the two pictures. I traded for it last year more as a curiosity than use. It has a 11 1/2" overall length, face dia. of 1.340" and a weight of 6.2 ozs. A comfortable feel but what a weight to swing with any speed. The question is what type of work would a big hammer like this be used? has anyone seen one like it? if it's a real common hammer then I'll feel stupid for posting and realize I should get out a bit more:rolleyes:
Maybe some of the rest of you guys have nice pretty hammers to show to the world. Any ideas or comments welcome. And I can't quite make out what is etched on the head of the big hammer.
Mark

Attachments

• 20120106_1.jpg
    20120106_1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 20120106_5.jpg
    20120106_5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 154
  • 20120106_8.jpg
    20120106_8.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 152

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mark,

I like very much your hammers :thumbsup:. The big one with a long and springy handle seems to be a chasing hammer for doing "repoussé" or this kind of work.

In this site they explain how work these hammers
http://www.alberic.net/Toolbox_Index/Chasing_Hammers/ChasingHammers.html

I have a collection of home made hammers. Some with a damascus head.
P1020856.JPG
The little one is not engraved yet and is my grandson's hammer. I have been working on a Palm Controlled hammer( the spheric one in bronze) and on a Dead Blow Hammer for engraving ( the second on the left ). I love these high technology tools :cool:
P1020857.JPG
Regards

Jean

mrthe

is used for repoussé works i have one pf this type that i had used in my study jewellery classes in italy
Jean great hammers!
how work the exactly the deadblow hammer?

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, I knew it was a stupid question, lol, I use the one hammer second from the left as my go to chasing hammer. The big hammer I have not used but may now if I ever have a call for some bigger work. Funny how I couldn't see the forest for the trees and in my 30 years at this game of making things have I called it a "chasing" hammer, he he he, that I use to engrave. A downward blow makes a lot more sense than my usual style of using the hammer just not going to swing that bad boy very quick. I appreciate the input and I hope someone gets a chuckle out of this.
Mark

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Mrthe, a dead blow hammer has a hollow cavitiy with lead shot in it that gives a second almost immediate blow to keep the hammer from bouncing back. Among other things it is great for setting frets on an instrument fingerboard.

monk

Staff member
you guys embarrass me. i have only 3. 2 made out of old engine valves, the third made from a large bolt. but,, they work.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
resize 60%.jpg
Here is a hammer I bought in the last year at a local jewelers supply house. Cost $7.40. The total weight is 164.7 grams, or 5.8 oz. (with handle.) Seems very well made, oval hole in head, with round Steel wedge. 10 1/2" long, 1 1/8" diameter face. Face is slightly convex.

Have not done much with it, still trying to get better at push engraving. But I can see hammer and chisel can be fun. And good for hard metals where it is too hard to push engrave.

Plan on reducing -tapering the handle. If I mess up, the supply house sells replacement handles for this head. Brand is "BeadSmith". Not as elegant as the old hammers, (nor Monk's), but at this price, it is alot better and easier that making one from scratch, even if it has to be modified by reducing the weight of the head, and reducing - tapering the handle. Surprised at the quality at this price.

Thanks Mark for posting your hammers. Now have a better idea how to modify mine.

To take up space in the picture I included a holder for engraving the inside of rings.
Also an odd push engraving handle. Seems to be made of some kind of Ivory. Very heavy, and hard.

Twinck

Kevin, watch out if you try and modify the hammer head, a the majority of these base level hammers are either case hardened only, or even chromed.. As soon as you make a modification the rest I the coating/plating flakes off, and the inner layer is fairly bad metal (have experimented with watchmakers hammers of the same look trying to get a better finish)

T

DiamondCactus

Hi Mark,

I like very much your hammers :thumbsup:. The big one with a long and springy handle seems to be a chasing hammer for doing "repoussé" or this kind of work.

In this site they explain how work these hammers
http://www.alberic.net/Toolbox_Index/Chasing_Hammers/ChasingHammers.html

I have a collection of home made hammers. Some with a damascus head.
View attachment 18289
The little one is not engraved yet and is my grandson's hammer. I have been working on a Palm Controlled hammer( the spheric one in bronze) and on a Dead Blow Hammer for engraving ( the second on the left ). I love these high technology tools :cool:
View attachment 18290
Regards

Jean

Thanks for this I am a newbie and this will probably save me a lot of money, and time, and I always like to know how things work to.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Twinck, thanks for the heads up. Right after buying the hammer I checked to see if it was plated, and how hard it was. Definitely not plated, seems to be some kind of magnetic stainless steel. Not case hardened. Some spots can be cut with a file, others not. Hardness is uneven, but not just hard on the surface. Still think it is pretty decent quality, and should work well for a beginner like me at hammer and chisel work.

Additional, 1/13/12. Have been lightening up the head . Not easy. Noticed the hammer face is much softer than a ball peen hammer. If you have steel handles on your chisels, the hammer face will mar easily. I am using wood handles, so I don't think it will be a problem. Thought I would mention it, since I said the hammer seemed good quality.

Last edited:

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member

For this technique of engraving, I use a hammer with similar weight (maybe), but with more solid handle (hammer on the left)

the hammers, that I use:

the ruler is in millimeters

The two small hammers on the right , are for metal inlay in wood and bone

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
there is an inherent problem in the little "bashers" i made-- the effect many call "springy" seems nonexistant when i use mine. never having used a real one, i guess i don't know what i'm missing.

Latest posts

Sponsors