hand engraving setup with a kick wheel

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I do primitive rendezvous and want to build a portable bench that has a kick wheel to turn my vice. I am thinking something like a shaving horse setup. I searched here and found nothing, just wondering if any of you have setup like that you would share photos of.
Thanks,Leland

dbeck

Here is my original setup. Built it from a dana 44 axle housing. Was super smooth on the big tapered bearings. I have a different setup now but am going to mount this to a steel plate because I like to use it with hammer and chisel. Its also nice because you can screw big parts right to the top but it did not work well with microscope. But was great with optiviser and hammer. Good luck!

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 85
  • bench 1.jpg
    bench 1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 83

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, I have watched your videos when ever I have time, the ergonomics of what I want to build will be important. I am not trying to replace my shop bench i like my classic and microscope. At the rendezvous I can't even use my optivisor I bought the strongest reading glasses you can buy and use those. What i have been doing is using a vise on top of a wooden box it vibrates but it will work. Most of the hand chiseling at the events is done for the organization running the rendezvous they buy a capper or tinder box I engrave it for nothing they auction it to raise money for the next event. 25 dollar cappers go for around 300 at auction. I need something portable but solid.
I have the Schippers book use it all the time for ideas.
dbeck, I like your setup with the axle housing and you already helped me I was going to put the spindle vertical that would have been a mistake tipping it towards me will solve 2 problems.
Thank You Scott and dbeck