Hello from Lafayette, LA

Zito

Hi all! My name is Kevin Zito. I make knives, and thought it would cool to add some engraving to my work. I’m a hobby Knife maker and still very much a rookie, but I seem to have developed an addiction to anything concerning metal. I began doodling scrolls and leaves, and decided to start trying to cut it into steel. It has been fun thus far. Today I received four chisels and have been pleased with the “clean” cuts especially when compared to what I was getting with the Dremel engraver. I’ll be lurking and reading and hopefully picking up a few pointers from you guys. Thanks. Kevin

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
knifemakers are always welcome, esp when they wish to embellish their own works. there's much to learn here, thru books, videos, and youtube. there was a time when learning this art was a dauting task. fortunately those days are over. good luck in yer pursuits.

Zito

Hi Kev.........lets see those clean cut mister!!!
Mmmm... not sure if I’m ready for that lol. I have never drawn, engraved, or done any type of art whatsoever, and my engravings perfectly encompass this massive art void. They are TERRIBLE... nope worse than terrible. I should probably practice a little more first. However, I’m not the shy type, so I don’t mind looking silly. I think that I should probably learn the very basics first. I don’t even know how to hold the tools in my hand. I spent an hour yesterday tapping the chisel upside down. Seriously.

Is it okay to post putrid work here for help? It seems to me that you guys are “further along” in the development of your skills lol. I don’t want to trash up the site.

monk

Staff member
face it-- you're a beginner. none of us was born with a graver in our hand. yer acessment of your work may not be a valid one. if you're a newbie, are you qualified to act as a judge on the quality of the work you do ? creative people, even the best ones, are rarely satisfied with their creations.
there's only one way to learn here, and that's thru sharing meaningful fotos of what your work looks like.
practice of the many phases of knifemaking, as well as engraving will bring improvement. learn to draw a simple scroll with simple elements. practice till it becomes second nature. once the simple design is mastered, then go on to more complex stuff. no one here will comment on your work except in a way that will steer you in the right direction.
give us a try. you will learn something !

Zito

Ok, here goes... this is my second attempt. I’ve also included a pic of my tools. I have no idea what I’m doing obviously. Lol. But it is very calming to me. Y’all bash away... I’ve learned that it’s the only way to get better. 7B9B7822-0D50-4EC5-8D08-BEB15C2262FF.jpeg 463DD744-5EB9-4C70-87DF-D7FE3AEBA26A.jpeg

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your gravers look a little on the long side unless you have very large hands! Shorter tools will give you better tool control!

Zito

Your gravers look a little on the long side unless you have very large hands! Shorter tools will give you better tool control!
It’s funny that you say that as, even with only an hour or so in, I can tell you that the shortest one is my favorite. Thanks for the tip.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Not bad for an early try.
A lot of mistakes that you will correct with more study of scroll.
One to start........If you are going for removed or crosshatch background like you did, close the design elements to contain and enclose the background.

Zito

Not bad for an early try.
A lot of mistakes that you will correct with more study of scroll.
One to start........If you are going for removed or crosshatch background like you did, close the design elements to contain and enclose the background.
Thank you very much!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the Forum! My suggestions, first REALLY study simple scroll designs, (There are tons on this Forum). Don't be afraid of copying some of these designs. It's how we all first learned. If you plan to begin with hand pushing your gravers, cut softer materials first. Go with copper or soft brass. It will teach you muscle memory without the hassles of working in steel. And yes, shorter gravers will help.

WMS

While the initial cost is significantly greater pneumatic engraving is in the long run a very viable option to hand push or hammer and chisel engraving, especially for steel. As a jeweler my first engraving lessons were bead and bright cutting stones into gold, using brass as a practice medium. By hand, pneumatic tools are so much easier on the arms and shoulders. Wish I had spent the money years ago.

Incidentally you can finance some of your equipment purchases for 6 months finance charge free via PayPal credit. It is worth looking into.

Benny

Hallo Kevin,

Wat dacht je van te leren graveren met hamer en beitel? Ik ben ook begonnen met hamer en beitel en zo leer je de basis. Ook het graveren van rechte lijnen en daarna pas cirkels.