Question: Hello out there

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone out there in the Chicago Metro area have Illinois license plate NGRAVR1? My wife saw it on the way home from work (I have her trained to be alert for such things now.)

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Fred, that's a cool plate. I tried to get "GRAVER" for my little black car, but it was already taken for PA. Does anyone else have a cool plate?

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Do you suppose maybe Ray Phillips of "NgravR" decided to leave Connecticut for the corruption of Chicago in beautiful Northern Illinois?

Tira- Maybe NGRAVR1 (or pick a number) is available in PA.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I will arrive early afternoon of the 11th and leave sometime on the 13th. Hope we can meet. I just finished some parts for a nice little English sporting rifle that Rice Barrels plans to market and should have in their booth. I usually hang around the first aisle by the range.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, Mayor Daley can spare hundreds more corrupt politicos and not weaken his machine at all. America- welcome to the world of Chicago politics.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
That's a reasonable theory Mike. Good as any. Have you seen the license plate? Matteson is pretty far South, but you know how engravers get around.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Barry- That may be as close as I get to the Mystery Engraver from Illinois. Maybe he (she) will discover the forum someday.

Are you going to GM?

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred, There's got to be some way to find out who owns the plate. In the old days, you could ask your best buddy policeman to do you a favor and "run the plate" on their computer as you were making a small donation to the Fraternal Order of Police, but that might be illegal now. (Then again, we are talking about Chicago)

On another note: I'm working on 4 SAA pistols using your fixture---what a blessing!!!!!

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
EEE Gads, I just read this post!!!

I went out to the motor garage and checked; sure enough, our chauffeur absconded with the convertible Bentley for a little joy ride (again).....
Really, what's an engraver to do??

Ha,

WL

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the old days, you could ask your best buddy policeman to do you a favor and "run the plate" on their computer
Brian,
I lived most of my life as a businessman in the Chicago area. When a plate is run, it stays on the computer for a while as a "flag." Often, there was not sufficient cause to bring charges against someone; ie, unruly individuals, smart-arsed kids, druggies, etc. The cops would run their plates to alert other officers who might see it to watch them for other indiscretions. Sometimes this resulted in the individuals just being pulled over again because they looked suspicious. The "Chicago system" works to one's advantage in many ways.

Dave

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Weldon, a couple thousand miles must be a Texas size joy ride. You better check the garage again, because somewhere between you and me he had the Bentley cleverly reworked into a Toyota Camry.

Brian- The Mystery Engraver may live in the Northwestern 'burbs judging by the direction he (she) was heading when Judy saw him (etc). Thanks for the plug; I'm cutting an SAA at this time also. By the way, I've figured out a way to use the fixture to access the areas of the recoil shields that are partially blocked by the fixture. Drop me a line and I'll send a sketch.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Fred,
My fender washer and set screw recoil shield retainer does not block any access to these parts.
I believe I sent you one to try.
Best.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Hi John,
I should have been more specific, I guess. I meant the area of the recoil shield where the guide rod and rear bushing exit the frame. The rod, bushing and rear post can restrict access somewhat in a small area along the hammer slot. Your washer is on the inside of the frame to secure the loading gate.

I still like your set screw idea and will probably use it if I make a second batch of fixtures. Your comments are always appreciated.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you for that, Fred.
I believe I also sent you a hammer slot bushing with a taper leading up to the slot opening.
This greatly un-restricts graver access to both the areas on the outside of the recoil
shield and loading gate.
Sure hope you're selling a lot of these great little fixtures.
They are a real time saver for anyone engraving or polishing a SAA frame.
Best.