Help finding parts

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am working on a stock for an Anshutz I am building. I have cut out and formed a steel (egravable) butt plate and grip cap and I am having a heck of a time finding screws that are not plated.

I want the screws blued to match the grip cap, butt plate and trigger guard.

I have looked at Midway and Brownells online but did not see any. I have looked at all the hardware stores to no avail. Everything in the stores is plated or painted.

Where might I find such screws?

Ray

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, "Muzzleloader builders supply" and "Track of the wolf" both will carry unplated slotted screws with a domed head, possibly flat head as well however if you find the kind of screw that suits your needs but is plated, the plateing burns off easily with a propane torch.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ray,

If you can only find plated screws (and they are high quality), I would sand the plating off the heads and go ahead use those. Once the plating has been removed you should be then able to color the heads to match. French gray, bluing, etc... The slot will be a challenge but you can do it!

Weldon

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ray: sometimes the drain cleaning products that contain hydrochloric acid will remove some types of plating. it just takes a minute or 2. if you see foaming or bubbling, it's a sign the plating is being disolved. the steel would be unaffected. rubber gloves, safety glasses, and outdoors. not good on skin or lung.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon,

I think you hit the nail on the head (or screw as the case may be)

Most of the plated screws I can find locally are of low quality. The steel may be hardened and may be of quality but the corners are rounded or they are misshapen.

I need some good quality screws with crisp defined edges. Honestly I would rather pay $10 per screw than mess with acids or jerry rigging something.

I will try the muzzleloader places cody recomended and some of the better woodworking supplies to see what I can find. I was hoping there was a place I could just order screws made for that purpose.

Ray

JCP

Ray, sure would like to know how you formed that butt plate. I'm think of trying to make one for a Remington rolling block sporter and could use some ideas.

Jack Phillips

PS : loved your knife engraving video.

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
I'm wondering why with all of your fine talents that you don't just make a couple of screws and stop messing with the internet. I'm not intending for this to sound sarcastic but I believe they were origionally made that way. Then again if you want to call me an A**hole it surley won't be the worst name I've been called. :D

Russ Sutton

Ray: I have a 20 year old + Brownell's gunsmith kit which contains unplated, slotted flat head wood screws in various sizes from #3 to #8 and in various lengths. Let me know the size and length and the number you need and I'll send them. Thanks, Russ.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the help Guys,

JT Kinney has come to my rescue. He is sending me what I need.

Again thanks,

Ray

PS. I'll post pics of her if I ever get it done:D

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I ditto what Ray said, the plated screws you are able to get are of inferior quality, 99% of all the fasteners from in the box stores and even some hardwares are imported crap. The muzzleloading houses are the best with just about all the sizes to imagine or need.
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors