Help, please: Help I don't know what i"m doing

isculpt

Hi.
This is all new to me. I am a self taught scrimshander and i've been doing it for a number of years (Scratch and ink). I came across your web site a few months ago and had just recently joined. I was impressed by the quality of your work and was interested in trying some scrimshaw and bulino. So I jumped the gun and bought a couple of GRS Handpieces: an 801 and a 537 without even knowing if they would work or not.

I tried to hook them up to a regular compressor, and have been unsuccessful in getting them to work. There wasn't any manual with them. Can any one tell me if they will work with a regular compressor and if so, what am I doing wrong.
:confused:

Andrew Biggs

Oh dear!!

Going by what you are saying.............you have the hand peices only???? If that is the case then they cannot operate directly ouff the compressor.

The compressor feeds into a GraverMach/Max etc. This then feeds the air to the hand peices regulating as it goes.

So that means you have to buy some more gear by the sounds of it. It may pay for you to tell us exactly what you have got................and maybe post photos so people can help you out.

Cheers

Andrew

isculpt

Andrew, Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, I have the hand pieces only, that I bought used on the cafe. I guess I assumed that they would run on a regular compressor since I really didn't understand how how they operate. I really can't afford $1,000 for GraverMach/Max etc. I there a less costly solution? Thanks again for your help.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I,m not sure if the handpieces you bought will work on a grs gravermate, but if so you might find a used one worth the money..I used a gravermate for about 2 years and it served me well.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, second hand would be a good way to go..............check out the classified ads on the forum and also e-bay. There are some great deals going around with used equipment. You don't need the latest whizz-bang equipment.

My best advice is to get in touch with GRS first and tell them exactly what handpeices you have and then ask what they are compatible with!!! Get a catalogue from them so it all starts making sense.

If you are short of cash then the hammer and chisel is a much less expensive option and can be done very cheaply. There is a way for every budget. You are only limited by your imagination and there are no short cuts.

A good investment for you right now would be a couple of books. The art of engraving by Meeks (GRS).....and basic firearms engraving by Neil hartleip (Brownells)

Just remember that there are many ways to approach engraving and it's the final work that counts.

Good luck on your journey and I wish you every pleasure and success with it

Cheers
Andrew

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Try 'Scrimshaw Techniques' by Jim Stevens or Ivoryworker.com fo more info on scrimshaw and power equip.
GRS can tell you what you need before you go shopping for used equipment.

Latest posts

Sponsors