Help, please: Help! New Hermes ITF-k pantograph

Hello, I’m a KnifeMaker and I’ve come across a add for a New Hermes ITF-k pantograph from what I can see on a google search. I’d like to know if it is good for the kind of work that I want to do or it is just for bigger signs, I want to go smaller than the template and not bigger. I’ve put a photo of the add and one of the info I found one internet. Thanks for the help I really want a pantograph but I want to buy one that I will be able to use.

Attachments

• 5A457133-505C-4FD3-A350-FFF63DE0153A.png
    5A457133-505C-4FD3-A350-FFF63DE0153A.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BDDDD18B-B428-4220-A814-D8FE5204F558.jpeg
    BDDDD18B-B428-4220-A814-D8FE5204F558.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 33

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
What kind of work do you plan on using it for ?

Allan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i used an itf for maybe 4 years for small commercial work. as allan asked, "i may be able to help but would need to know yer intentions for use. the machine, as any other device, has limitations. this model would only be useful for flat work as well as items of limited thickness. mods can be made but require a bit of skill as a machinist/tinkerer. shoot me a pm btw it would likely require you to learn how to make yer own templates.

silvermon

Generally used for lettering, using either single lip cutters or diamond drag points. Can be used for other pattern work, but you would quickly prefer a larger machine. Diamond drag points work by displacement, so the metal can't be too hard. Single lip cutters can be HHS or Carbide (several grades easily available) and used to cut steel, and even some hardened steels. They cut anything else less hard, including plastics, wood, and soft stone. Depending on HHS or Carbide (and, the grade) the tips of the cutter can be easily broken. You would need to be able to sharpen your own cutter, or have a deep bank account buying replacements. Typically single lip cutters run $12 to $20. Drag points are usually around $50 to $60, but last a long time if properly used.

i used an itf for maybe 4 years for small commercial work. as allan asked, "i may be able to help but would need to know yer intentions for use. the machine, as any other device, has limitations. this model would only be useful for flat work as well as items of limited thickness. mods can be made but require a bit of skill as a machinist/tinkerer. shoot me a pm btw it would likely require you to learn how to make yer own templates.
Thanks you so much! I will have questions for sure for the template making, it will be for flat work on blades 1/4 inch max thickness

The price depends upon how many, and what type of fonts are available with it. The fonts are what will frequently set you back. My father and I had a New Hermes diamond stylus engraver, and it worked rather well for engraving names onto the heat-treated blade.
Thanks for the info