Question: Help,sil air 15,should i buy this one?

connor

HI ,anybody used SIL AIR 15,I saw a used sil air 15 ,but i dont know if it will be well for GRAVER MAX,can anybody give me some suggestions? there is picture below

Attachments

• sil air 15 one.jpg
    sil air 15 one.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 55
  • sil air 15 two.jpg
    sil air 15 two.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 57
  • sil air 15 three.jpg
    sil air 15 three.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 64

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Connor,

I went and pulled up the Graver Max manual from the GRS site. The full manual can be found here: GraverMax Manual When you click on the link give it a minute to load - it's a large pdf file.

It says the GraverMax needs 1.4 CFM (40 liters/min.) at a minimum of 45 psi (3.1 bar) with a maximum input of 125 psi (8.6 bar). This info was at the top of page 3 in the manual. I have no idea on specifics with the compressor you have asked about, but I would compare the compressor specs with the above specs and maybe that will help you to decide. :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Connor,
I would suggest calling GRS and speaking to JB. He knows their products VERY well. 1-800-835-3519.

It may be fine for a Gravermax, but powering a high speed rotary tool from the "aux air" port demands MUCH more air flow.

connor

HI TIRA,Thanks for your help, the specifics of Sir-air 15 is:
LT.min:20
Bar:6
i dont know if it will work well, cause it is 20 liters/min.
i have another question, do we have to buy a compressor which have knob can ajust the pressure?

connor

hey,peter,i will make sure if it will work well,actually i just want to use Graver Max for engraving, and i have another machine for rotary tool.thanks very much for your suggestion.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You really need a reservoir tank with the compressor otherwise it'll be running all the time. I used to use a Bambi that had a tank that was too small. Needless to say it didn't last very long as it ran far too hot. My Sil Air has a 24 litre tank and cycles 3 - 4 times an hour on average. I would suggest that this particular model isn't suitable for a GraverMax.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check your local used tool store. I check with one locally every couple months or so. Last week I picked up a 2hp 4 gal quiet compressor for $125. That's not the first time. One time I pick up a silent panther compressor for $150.I don't think those things your looking at work very well like Marcus says you need a reservoir tank.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
You really need a reservoir tank with the compressor otherwise it'll be running all the time. I used to use a Bambi that had a tank that was too small. Needless to say it didn't last very long as it ran far too hot. My Sil Air has a 24 litre tank and cycles 3 - 4 times an hour on average. I would suggest that this particular model isn't suitable for a GraverMax.

I have a 24ltr tanked compressor (noisy one):rolleyes:, luckily i can run my lyndsay palm control just about all day once it`s full, so i just turn it off and top it up when convenient.

connor

HI thanks very much for your advice,i am a beginner and have never used any compressors before,Now i am very confused with two point:
ONE is about the pressure control if using Gravermax and compressor,i saw there is a air regulator on the top of Gravermax,and also the foot control can control the pressure,so there will be three things can determine the air pressure:air regulator knob,foot control and compressor,what is the relationship among these three things?what should we do to get the right pressure we want?
TWO is about the compressor,what is the reservior tank used for?we have to clean the water in it on time? and for the compressor,if we should buy a compressor with a regulator which can adjust the air pressure too?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You should have a regulator on the air compressor. I think it is set somewhere around 45 psi. Then, the air pressure is "fine tuned" on the Gravermax regulator. The foot pedal is not really a regulator.
The tank on the compresor is to hold reserve air so the compressor doesn't cycle.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Conner

I agree with Marcus............you need a compressor that has a reservoir tank.

A resiouviour tank holds spare air in the tank otherwise your compressor will be running continuously. This can drive you nuts very quickly like Chinese water torture.

Spend your money wisley and get something that does the job properly for you. It will save you money, time asnd frustration in the long run.

Cheers
Andrew

connor

Thanks very much for your help!i think i have got it, but i saw the manual of Gravermax said it requires 1.4 CFM (40 liters/min.) at a minimum 45 psi (3.1 bar).Maximum input is 125 psi (8.6 bar).
So, if the regulator can ajust air pressure we need ,but how should we control the lit/min? i saw much air compressor is much more than 40 liters/min, such as 89 liters/min or 100 liters/min or others
by the way , what is the capacity of the tank we need, more than 20L???

Andrew Biggs

Hi Conner

No, it's not noisy. The junair is the same type of compressor as a silent-air. They basically run like a refrigerator so the noise is minimal when it is filling the tank.It sounds slightly louder than a fridge motor. Mine sits about 2 meters away from my workbench and cycles about every 10-15 minutes (I'm guessing that as I've never timed it.)

No, I don't run a Gravermax .........but I do run a Gravermach AT that operates both a foot pedal and airtact.............so I'm guessing it would be roughly the same for a gravermax.

Cheers
Andrew

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Conner,

You do not control the air flow in lit/min. The machine does. What the spec should say is that it requires AT LEAST 40 liters/min. Any compressor that can supply that much or more will do the job(since the gravermax or gravermach will regulate the speed of the flow.)

Regards,

Les Holmes

doug

Can you add a portable air tank to an air compressor to increace the run time,I assume this would increase the fill time as well.

Doug

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug, by the time you've messed about adding a tank, safety valve and cut off switch it's probably easier to get a proper, ready made unit. Also, safety is a big issue to be considered. You'd be potentially making a bomb!

Latest posts

Sponsors