Announcement: Helpful Advice No. 27

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
DO NOT use one of your good, sharp leather knives to pop an engraved piece from a glue board, this is usually the result

Attachments

• IMG_20130614_073134.jpg
    IMG_20130614_073134.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 255

Steveareno

It is way better to just put it in the freezer for a while and it will pop right off, now you have to put your thumb in the freezer to get some relief and a couple of beers won't be so bad either, get better soon!

Steve

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I instinctively caught a wood carving knife between my knees as it rolled off the bench... stabbing the blade all the way into my left leg. Stuff like that happens in a split second.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I instinctively caught a wood carving knife between my knees as it rolled off the bench... stabbing the blade all the way into my left leg. Stuff like that happens in a split second.

I did a similar thing whilst shadowing Chris DeCamillis' bulino class at GRS. I was sitting next to Todd Daniels when one of my gravers rolled off the bench (that's the problem with the GRS quick change push gravers, the handles are heavy and don't have a flat). Instinctively I clamped my knees together to catch it and drove it over an inch into my thigh. I remember Todd's face and words to this day "Man, that's gonna HURT!" and boy did it!

Back in the day (before air assistance) slips, stabs and cuts were quite common. Not quite as bad as this though TyG. I'll bet you won't do that again will you?

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Ty
At least it was a quick clean cut and not a ragged tear from a dull knife, lol, yep we all have some of those stories. I keep super glue handy for such events but there may be a time when lacings work better as in this case. Heal quick!
Mark

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I hope your finger heals nicely. Otherwise you may have villagers try to run it out of town with torches and pitchforks. :eek:
(Sorry Frankenstein was the first thought I had when I saw your picture.)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
judging from the picture, Ty, it kinda looks like that's not the first time that finger has taken some abuse?

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your sympathy. Every couple of years this happens when we do not think about what we are doing and the consequences of being slack. Yes Mitch my hands have been abused and banged about, I am lucky that they still work and let me build some nice saddles.

I hope it is quite a few years before my next and you all keep the picture in mind when you have a knife in hand. Ty.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I did something similar to this with a chisel when in a high school woodworking class. Teacher's advice was to keep the hands behind the cutting edge. Guess that seems fairly logical after the event.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors