Henry Big Boy

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I have 3 Henry brass frame big boys to do I don't have any experience with Henrys. How does the brass cut? is it crumbly. How hard is it to get the barrel off? They will have a lot of engraving and I don't want to fight the barrel.
Thanks,Leland

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Leland, The Henry rifles are easy to engrave just stay away from the small calibers like 22's there brass plated and you have to find a gunsmith to remove the barrel. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
JJ thanks I remove barrels all the time but it's on 100 to 150 year old Winchesters. I was just wondering how tight the Henry barrels are.
Thanks again,Leland

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
I had to ask a gunsmith each time to remove and assemble the barrels in the beginning... it proved to be costly and has taken too long.
Later I made an engraving wise that kept the balance (not ball shaped) and I engraved the rest with the barrels on for years.
Concerning cutting the brass, Henrys are very engraver friendly alloys of Zinc and Copper, but some molecular size material tends to stick on the cutting edge of your graver.
When your tool's edge is turning yellow it is not becoming gold...
There is no need to resharpen, I was using fine Emery paper to remove the brass residue.
Wishing best of luck, it should be fun.

Attachments

• 100_0092.jpg
    100_0092.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 77

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone the barrel was easy to remove I didn't think it would be tight but never hurts to ask someone with experience. The brass cuts ok but it is gummy and inconstant but not bad.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
To Flintdoubles:
The Henry barrels are tightly assembled in the receiver, and also have a tiny screw against the tread to secure them. That must be removed first. The real risk: the brass receiver is a compatibly soft metal, and it might be easily deformed during removal of the barrel, or in the wise. When I engraved the top of receivers with removed barrel, I always inserted a fitting size of hardwood to ensure that I wont compromise the shape of the receiver.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
handengraver thanks I removed the barrel without any problems. The threads cutting and gaulding the brass was my concern Henry cut flat top threads to help avoid that. The barrel is not that tight compared to a 150 year old 1873 Winchester. I have equipment to support the receiver this is not my first barrel removal just new to Henrys.
Thanks again,Leland

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I guess I should mention that my gunsmith is retired. He has scaled back his work. I disassemble the gun and he will remove a barrel while I wait. The charge is minimal. He also is a long time friend. I am very lucky to have this situation.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
tdelewis, around here I am that guy for lever guns but I will always ask someone with experience if I can. My dad told me when I was a teenager and I'm sure the first part was meant for the teenager. He said you can't learn anything if your the smartest guy in the room. He went on to say there were two meanings talking less and listening more was first the second was surround yourself with people who are smarter or more experienced than you and listen to them. It has served me well and like it or not I consider all of you to be some of my smarter or more experienced people I hang out with.
Thanks,Leland

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a Browning BAR rifle in fore engraving and tried to take off the barrel it jut would not more so I sent out to Art's Gun Shop Art is the go to guy when comes to Browning's I've taking off barrels before but this one would not come off. J.J.

Sponsors