Hermaphrodite Calipers

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I picked up a set of Starrett No. 243 Hermaphrodite Fixed Joint calipers on E-Bay the other day. They work great for scribing a border around the edge of a workpiece. They are a one-trick pony (that's all they do) but they do a good job at it. The fixed (friction) joint is not as stout as the threaded adjustment on a spring caliper but if you are careful they stay put. I haven't seen this style discussed here.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i used to own such. ended up giving it away after thinkin it was useless. oh my !

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They have been mentioned before I use mine a lot. Good to to bring them up again. You can make your own replace one leg of spring dividers with a bent and polished used up beading tool. Photo below the old ones are hard to find

Last edited:

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I just happened to be browsing fleabay one day and somebody had a pair who didn't know what they were or their value. Got them for $20.00 which I thought was a good deal. I do have to polish the follower leg a little so it doesn't leave a scratch but overall a good tool. Nice trick with the regular calipers.

Sponsors