HOBO Nickel Coin Holder

• Thread starter ArtisanAttributes
  • Start date

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i used this stuff, it's great. but it caused a problem with a gold ring i used on it. caused surface granulation or roughness. never again now that there's thermoloc !

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nope. It was made from scratch. I just got back from Reno a few hours ago so I'll get to making those holders for the folks that asked for one sometime this week.

Jon C. Dake

When I started carving coins it didn't take too long before I figured out that I needed something easy to use that wouldn't mar the coins while I was carving on them. Here is what I came up with. The bottom of the recess is covered with leather to protect the reverse of the coin while I am carving on it. It is quick and easy to use and holds the coin securely with no marring on the edge or reverse of the coin. The photo makes it look like the recess is not completely round but that is an optical illusion. The recess is perfectly round as it was cut on a lathe. The hardest part was getting those darn pins to line up.

Attachments

• Coin Holder.jpg
    Coin Holder.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 64

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cerro safe is also good for filling actions to remove the bounce and vibration, but it is a bit complicated to explain. It is good to have around however. I think it was designed to cast barrel chambers for head spacing and such. Thermoloc is great for making jigs and won't damage anything and the two sided mold technique DJ demonstrated will allow you to reuse the jig over and over for same size objects. It is about the fastest way I know for any holding jig you have to make...............Ron S

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Jon
I used a coin holder on the order of the one you posted a picture of for a couple of years it worked great, but i changed over to a brass holder later that protrudes about a inch above the vise..

Sponsors