Hobo Nickel Screw up

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Hello
I just wanted to share a new nickel that i was working on
I was getting pretty close to finishing it when i "stepped back" and had a look
wow
I put the sails blowing the wrong direction.
there is a lesson to be learned here.
Dave
P.S. the wife says maybe it is backing into the dock
LOL
wives....they are so supportive and i just love mine
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0003web.jpg
    DSCF0003web.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 225

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
he he
that is funny Bobby
you are probably right tho
i will probably put it on Ebay just to see what happens
i will put a link here if i decide to sell it
thanks for the comments
Dave

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave and all nickel carvers,

I often read of putting your nickels on eBay. While I realize some of you may have a following of collectors, what range do these nickles sell for. Considering the value of your time on an hourly basis, does it actually pay or do you sell them just to support the cost of your hobby or does anybody do it as a full time profession?

Some of the nickels I've seen here are beautifully designed and executed and must take several hours to complete. Some of the prices I've seen other hand engraved items sell for on eBay are so low I can't imagine one could make much money at it. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not looking for specifics here, just generallities. I don't want the Infernal Revenue Service breathing down anybody's neck!

Thanks,

Roger

finn

Elite Cafe Member
your coin is like that rare stamp ( that red air plane that was printed up side down) and worth millions.

i like the coin

Last edited:

JamesO

There is nothing wrong with your carving- It's got character and your artistic impression.
You are doing good, IMO! keep at it
My dad calls me with ideas for some of the Nickels I carve. It's funny you (Finn) mention the Upside down
plane postage stamp- that was one of the ideas he gave me about a year and a half ago. I just never finished the carving. I've done the Zeppelin, Kitty Hawk, and a few others stamp inspired carvings. Postage stamps give you many ideas- many trains, planes, cars, people, buildings etc.. and you see first hand how it looks on a small canvas.
Roger - it can pay. For me it is fun and rewarding too, because there are people that actually collect them, enjoy them, and enjoy talking to you about them, what they like and or dislike, or just to call and say they were looking at carvings in their collection and one of yours stood out.
But then again if you could charge by the hour...... you could do it full time. Honestly I haven't really figured out how to price my carving. You put them on EvilBay:rolleyes: to get some kind of idea- but it is an auction no real set price. It's fun so I just use it to help support my other hobbies:D
Thanks -
Jim Olivencia

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey dave, i'm starting the bid at a dollar three eighty ole buddy ! looks awesomme to me. i don't give a hoot which way the fan is blowin ! monkey man

Danny C

What screwup? You "did" make the sails that way, didn't you?
You put in a lot of time and effort to make it look that way - so you must have done it on purpose (wright?)

Just sell it and forget it. It isn't necessarily wrong. Just that the wind changed direction as you engraved it, that's all. :>)

Latest posts

Sponsors