Hobo Nickel

tnartist05

Hello,Im new to this forum but after reading about Bob Shamey in my wood carvers magazine which Im a wood carver and a member there. I thought it would be fun to see if I could carve{engrave} a Buffalo 1930 nickel that I had.

I dont have any power tools as engraving or jeweler's with different types nor do I use a microscope as Mr. Shamey, but he stated old Hobos had crude home made tools and thats what I used to create this Hobo with.

It was a fun project and I hope to improve with my engraving in the future and thanks for taken your time to view this nickel.

Your thoughts or comments are more than welcome,thks' Tn~

Attachments

• DSC06005zzz.JPG
    DSC06005zzz.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC06009.JPG
    DSC06009.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC06011.JPG
    DSC06011.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC05968zz.JPG
    DSC05968zz.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the madhouse ! looks very nice. actually looks more like a real hobo job than most of the ones you see posted here. not too many of the hobos of times past carried scopes around. i think it amazing that any of them could muster the facility to do what they did. your talent as a carver in wood will surely serve you well as you downsize that skill to a nickel. be sure to continue posting your work for us to enjoy. look carefully, the best carvers here like steve ellsworth, billzach, and many others, all use a truckload of modified tiny tools made from old dental burs and whatnot. you nneed not spend major bucks to begin doin this.

Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Compared to my first coin carving, your,s is a masterpiece...Thank you for sharing your coin carving with the forum.

tnartist05

Thank you very much Monk! Ive seen alot of your work here and I wouldnt even hold a candle, make that a match to your excellent work! Thanks again for your good information and your neat comments.

Tn~

Last edited:

tnartist05

Billzach,AWwwwwww Thanks for your nice compliment but it was fun for me to just try in carve{engrave} this HoBo on the buffalo nickel! I use to live in Memphis and Ive been through Mayfield several times!

Thanks again,Tn~

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tn,

Are you in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area? I'm going there next week. BTW, be sure to check out the photo gallery here for the hobo nickel section.

Roger

tnartist05

Roger,I live 2 1/2 hrs further on up in East Tn,Im close to NC & Va also. I looked at the gallery on the Hobo nickels but thanks for reminding me of that should Id not found it.I will try some more coin engraving but right now,Im super busy carving & painting, getting ready for my Roan Mtn show next month,its thier 62th year this year.I carve alot of the wildlife from the mtns of E.Tn,I carve items from under 1/2 inch to 3 foot.

I thank you for your good thoughts and advise!! Tn~

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
TN
That is a great looking nickel
carving Nickels is a great hobby
It would be interesting to see the tools you made to do this carving
thanks for showing
Dave

tnartist05

ThreeFingerDave Dave thanks for the nice compliment on my 1st nickel. As for my tools,I have made alot of my wood carving tools and now the ones I use to try in engrave with,yall would laugh me off this forum!!

Thks again,Dave Tn~

tnartist05

Scott,yall are down some from Cookeville?? I think. I wish I could drive on down and enjoy all the great engraving plus the other artist's works down there next wk end but I have only 3 weeks to get alot of items ready for a big carving show here in my area. Maybe later I will be able to come down,I have my three older children that live in Memphis,so we make that trip often. Thanks again Scott!

Tn~

tnartist05

Jim Sackett, I more than agree with you Jim,the people on this forum Im sure will be more than willing to help someone. I'll be looking for your 1st nickel. Theres so many nice pieces and so many excellent engravers on this board that Ive not gotten to ck out thier work yet but I will.

Thanks again Jim for your nice thoughts! Tn~

Shamey

Tn,
I am pleased that the article in this months Woodcarving Illustrated inspired someone new to try their hand at carving a nickel or two. Your first attempt is beautiful. Please keep up the carving. They will keep getting better the more you do. If you ever get to eastern Pennsylvania, stop in and I will teach you all that I know!
Your friend,
Shamey

tnartist05

Bob, I was so impressed with your HoBo nickels that I just had to try in carve one. I posted it on our WCI board and it got some good comments about it. Course Sir,it cant compare to the fine work you create. You are such a master engraver.

I appreciate your nice compliments here which is very encouraging! Thanks again,Tn~

Last edited: