Hobo Question

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey folks I have a hobo nickel I am wanting to list on ebay. I have seen these listed in both the buffalo nickel category and the medal/ medalion category.

What is the best ebay category to list one of these in?

Thanks,

Ray

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Ray
I haven,t tried listing one in the medal-medalion, but i think Stephen Cox has, so he could tell you if it helps or not..A lot of collectors have your name down as favorite sellers and it doesn,t matter what you sell or where you list it, it,ll show up on their -my ebay page-

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
Much the same as Bill, but I've always considered these little beauties like small medallions or art medals. There's a lot of time and art involved. If you do a dual category be sure to mention " art medal " in the title or description along with hobo nickel and subject of course so it will all show up in a search. Having sold quite a few medals on eBay, I can tell you the phrase "art medal" gets a certain crowds attention, and a one of a kind is even better. The medal crowd also needs a decent explanation of hobo nickels as art to peek their interest. Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Where's my head, I forgot something. When the new coin carving site becomes more popular, hopefully it will become a good place to market carved coins, connecting buyers with sellers. Steve Adams

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info guys.

I have thought several times about doing this in the past but this is the first time I have actually decided to go for it.

Ray

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
There are two hobo nickel sites. One is on Yahoo and is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobo_nickels
The other is www.coincarving.com The first site was started because there was no internet forum where both carvers and collectors could come together to exchange information, buy and sell hobo nickels. The second site was started because Yahoo's format isn't as good as others, like this one, and a member of the Cafe, (Vilts) offered to host a more user friendly forum. Either way, everyone is invited to join both groups but as host of the Yahoo group, I am letting you know that when the coin carver site is fully up and running the Yahoo group will mostly be used as a pointer to the coin carver site. I hope this is clear, but if not, just drop me a line.

Joe Paonessa

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
Have I seen this Nickle when I was in your School in 04/07 ???
Show a pic, and what you are going to list it for or start the bidding, also give us a Item ####Number...
love to see...
Jerry

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a pic of the one I am ebaying. I will probably get it listed tomorrow

I find photographing the things harder than carving them. One of these days I'm going to have to get me a better camera.

Ray

Attachments

• hobo 1.jpg
    hobo 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 80

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,
Eye like it, and now I'm trying to figure it out. The eye is set into the skull, but in this case the skull is set into the eye, but what does it mean? I will be thinking about this all night.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Yea, that the one you showed us in school...
Ray, as I remember it is done in your fine style of engraving...
I really liked the nickle and you could do more for the collectors...
You will be a hit...
I might even start collecting...
How much are you thinking about starting the bidding???
Let us know the item ### if you list it on an auction site...
Best,
Jerry

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,

Here is the Item Number 170170850760

I paid to have the picture blown up when it is clicked on but that feature doesn't seen to be working on ebay today, at least not on my auctions. I tried to contact them about it but email nor live help are working today. I will try again later.

Ray