Hold-it Man

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
I finally got sick of trying to find the blade I need for a job. So I built myself some wedding cake lazy
Suzann's. They hold 125 blades each. The flats that I started with hold 20 of one group.

The lazy Suzann's are 4" models From Lee Valley here in Canada. The wood was just cut out on a band saw
then trued on a lathe. Drill on the drill press and I can now make some sense of the disorder.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
Nice job. I made mine out of 6" dia aluminum, that I had in the shop. You are correct sure does make it easier to find stuff. How are you doing?

Sandy

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
I made some similar tired holders except mine were just rectangle. It makes life easier.
The only thing I would do next time is use a drill a bit bigger than 1/4" because once I put on some finish the tools fit a bit tight.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jim for the idea. I have the makings for 20 gravers after putting together 5 or 6 of them the need for a tool holder became apparent. Either that or get a larger bench to clutter.

Jim Sackett :cool:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I tried the larger bench thing and second bench. They don't work. Either live kaos or you get organized.
I never wanted to get organized willingly but found I waste lots of time just looking for stuff.

If I can just narrow it down to looking for diamonds on the floor, I'll be ahead.

If ya go into a setters shop and needs sweeping, he hasn't dropped a stone lately.

I tend to have a clean floor.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
I remember my grandfather having a old cigar box filled with his bench sweepings... gold, silver, etc. I have started to save silver shavings in a baby food jar.
I don't know what ever became of that old box after his stroke(1964)... but I can tell you it sure was heavy. Does anyone else save graver shavings?

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Dulltool;
Yepp,,,, I save saw dust, filings, clippings, even the filters from my buffer. It all gets sent in to the refiner. You would be supprised how much it can add up to.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I have one off the refiners right now. I usually send it in about every six months. I alway get back 24k
casting shot for stock. It's normally around one ounce. 24k is how I keep my gold until I need to make
something and then I alloy it myself.

This is the most versatile form, because you need three times more if it's already alloy. You tend to never
have what you need if you buy stock already mixed. The bonus is that I can do inlay and try new alloys
from time to time. It's also less expensive to buy 24k because they charge you to alloy the gold you buy.
If you combine the alloy cost and the 24k, there is about a 5% charge on top for sheet gold.

This adds up after a while.

Jim