Honest opinions needed - do we need more forums?

Does The Engraver's Cafe need more forums?

• Yes, I think the Cafe should have separate forums for particular types of engraving (coin carving, w

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • No, I prefer to keep all engraving discussion in our present Hand Engraving Forum.

Votes: 87 92.6%

• Total voters

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam,i think this is a wonderful stew you have cooked up here. i think it's as good as can be in its present form. i value the diversity that comes here. if it serves thee better to split it into different parts, that's ok. but i think the present format is great. thank you sam for doing this, and to tira as well for the time she spends administering the forum site and making sure it works. there's a truckload of people in your debt !

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think if it where divided up there may be more postings of different types of works, but I don't think it would be good to do. I think this format keeps our minds open and abilities progressive. It's much more interesting this way. One can peak on a jeweler's bench or a engraver's bench or a coin carver's bench a die cutter's bench and so much more. It doesn't seem to offend anyone if jewelry, coins, guns, knifes or whatever creative is posted. It sure seems to be a great bunch here.

There's enough segregation all around us.

Patternweldor

Sam. I have to agree with the others on this also, I find myself reading every post because one learns from everyone else's endeavors. Sometimes when forums are split up into different categories, I feel that a lot gets missed. I really want to thank everyone who posts these valuable lessons and information...I really believe this forum is the most helpful to everyone out there, regardless of title.....

Its a winner.... Thanks for the time and effort!!!!

Chris.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for all of your comments. I agree with the majority that the Cafe should stay as-is until we see a need to divide it into sub-forums. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something that was needed. I really appreciate everyone's participation and as always, your comments and suggestions are welcome. / ~Sam

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
At some point as this grows I think you will need to add more forums, but I'd go a different direction that what you suggested:

How-to forum - tech and tool discussions and questions
Gallery/critique forum - show your work and request comments/suggestions
Biz forum- how to market, dealing with clients, how to photograph for presentation, etc.
Social forum- includes shows, get-togethers, off topic chat, etc.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love the way the forum works and I think the way we are all sharing is wonderful. Although I'm not a jeweller or western engraver I like to see what others are doing. If you split it into seperate forum I doubt I'd visit them all and might miss out on something fabulous. Please don't change things.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam..I really enjoy seeing such a variety of workmanship whether it be firearms, jewelry, motorcycle, schrimshaw, coin carvers, knives, etc. I believe we are all getting a wonderful education here. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

nicglass1

i believe that just the one forum is good for now. when you first join it takes a day or 2 (of solid reading) to cover all the threads that are here. but after that the new posts are right on top and easy to get to without having to flip through 4 or 5 different forums. if engraving a certain style were a cut and dry affair and no one wanted to ever branch out into a different style then seperating them would be a good idea becuase no information in the other forums would interest you. but since that is not the case, and there are MANY members that still don't know what style they want to concentrate on (yes me) then having them all together is a great thing.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
I like the way everything is in one forum. I am like marcus. If it is split up, I may not visit some areas as offen as I should and miss something I would be interested in. I think it would help if there was a date when a thread gets started. I don't have time to read everything on here. Wish I could. Anyway, I would know if it was an old thread or a new one.

Joe

Sponsors