Question: How can I keep my new work space more quiet.

I am changing a room to engrave in, but as I have neigbours I have to try to reduce the noise of my hammer and chisel engraving to it's lowest possible because as nice as my neigbours are I doubt they would like hearing banging for hours every day.

I have planned to get a very heavy workbench on carpet and add some noise cancelling panels on the walls, but I am not sure if there is much I can do.

If anyone has any tips on what I could do to reduce the noise would be great, thanks.

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Wall hangings, like carpets, work to soften and deflect noise, I knew a fellow that had to do computer audio work and he built a small room within the room he was working in, not sure how practical that would be for you. Also get to know your neighbors BEFORE you start annoying them, people tend to be more forgiving of the guy they have shared beer and bread with, than the faceless stranger beating on pots next door....

Wall hangings, like carpets, work to soften and deflect noise, I knew a fellow that had to do computer audio work and he built a small room within the room he was working in, not sure how practical that would be for you. Also get to know your neighbors BEFORE you start annoying them, people tend to be more forgiving of the guy they have shared beer and bread with, than the faceless stranger beating on pots next door....
hmm carpets, I will look into that, but the neighbour situation isn't so much that I don't know them, but if I had a neighbour I knew that had banging I could hear most of the day I would be a bit pissed off as well lol, that is the only reason I am trying to keep it as low as possible out of respect.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
If you want to continue engraving with hammer and chisel and reduce the noise mount your gravers in a hardwood handle and use a small rawhide mallet as your hammer.
Much quieter than a steel hammer hitting a metal graver.

If you want to continue engraving with hammer and chisel and reduce the noise mount your gravers in a hardwood handle and use a small rawhide mallet as your hammer.
Much quieter than a steel hammer hitting a metal graver.
This might sounds stupid, but the rawhide mallet wouldn't affect my engraving would it? Thanks for the info.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe you ought to visit your neighbors and ask them if they can even hear your tapping. They probably can't.

Jenny2

I am changing a room to engrave in, but as I have neigbours I have to try to reduce the noise of my hammer and chisel engraving to it's lowest possible because as nice as my neigbours are I doubt they would like hearing banging for hours every day.

I have planned to get a very heavy workbench on carpet and add some noise cancelling panels on the walls, but I am not sure if there is much I can do.

If anyone has any tips on what I could do to reduce the noise would be great, thanks.

Hi Patek,
There are sound barriers and sound absorption products. The carpet is sound absorption. Depending on your budget, you might research using Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) as a sound barrier. It is heavy and dense and can be hung with staples, this is a very fast and temporary solution. You could then put dense carpet over that or maybe use something like cork. There are also blankets that can be hung that have both MLV and sound absorption in them. If the wall is hollow, and you really want performance, you would use a product like Green Glue with another piece of drywall. Again, it depends on your budget. Personally, I’d start “wallpapering” the entire wall with MLV first and see if that alone does the trick. Remember wherever air goes, the sound goes, so look for any cracks in the wall (and ceiling). I can help you more specifically if you are interested. I helped design a music studio, so have some experience. This stuff can get stupid expensive fast. https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/mass-loaded-vinyl/ ; https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/Sound-Control-Curtains/ ;

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
This might sounds stupid, but the rawhide mallet wouldn't affect my engraving would it? Thanks for the info.

I don't find that a small rawhide mallet changes the feel of engraving materially.
Though I have no noise problem I use it often because I enjoy the change.
But when inlaying I usually use a steel hammer and brass punch.
Give a mallet and wood handle a try, it's a low cost/risk option.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some times I use a very small wood carving mallet, wrapped with hockey tape and wood handles made by Ray Viramontez

monk

Staff member
if the hammer is the size i think it is, just glue small washers or such on the back. eventually you'll find a weight that's just right.