Question: How does one do square wire inlay?

kpattie

Hi All,

Hope you are well, firstly if I have broken any rules in posting this I apologize in advance and please let me know and I will delete. This is purely to learn, as I have been scratching my head to the scalp.

I am sure most of you recognize this beautiful piece of work created by Joanne Ryall!

I was wondering about the square inlay, is this done using pre squared wire which is punched into a channel, I can imagine this distorts the metal slightly so one must trim it once again slightly to crisp up edges ?

Secondly, If so what I do not understand is the 90 degree bends how are these perfect, are small parts of square wire punched into the straights and joined at the boundary as I cannot even see the faintest line? since it seems like one continuous wire I cannot see how someone would create a 90 degree bend with square wire.

OR

Is this done with normal round wire inlay and trimmed into a square after inlaying, does seem more logical have to sincerely appreciate how amazingly this has been done below! :eek:

1606177682099.png

Any direction on this would be appreciated and once again if this is against the rules I am sorry in advance!

Also shout out to Joanne!

Thank you!

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the inlay appears to be raised, the most direct way to accomplish this is to first inlay deeply into very precisely precut channels, and then to very precisely cut away the margins just enough to raise the inlay above the surface of the bedding metal.

kpattie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the inlay appears to be raised, the most direct way to accomplish this is to first inlay deeply into very precisely precut channels, and then to very precisely cut away the margins just enough to raise the inlay above the surface of the bedding metal.

I thought that as well, just thought of the method Barry Lee Hands uses for his leaves, could this be used in the same manner using square wire with minimal trimming. just doubt you can do 90s

Alternatively, if smaller wire was used and pushed into the channel in multiple snaking passes how does one line up where to trim to since the spill over from inlay can be messy? Or maybe you just take very small cuts until the desired width is reached?

All beginner speculation luckily my wire arrives today so will attempt it =)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
sometimes there are slick tricks, and sometimes it's just the very precise, ultimate application of more or less basic techniques. i'm looking at that pic and thinking there might be nothing terribly complicated about it, maybe Jo just did a really, really superb job taking it to the extreme?

kpattie

sometimes there are slick tricks, and sometimes it's just the very precise, ultimate application of more or less basic techniques. i'm looking at that pic and thinking there might be nothing terribly complicated about it, maybe Jo just did a really, really superb job taking it to the extreme?
definitely an extremely lovely design executed perfectly!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What I do for inlayed lines that are wider than deep I take a appropriately heavier wire and tap it sort of flat. This way I have a rectangular piece. I anneal it an then inlay it. How you dress it down depends on the final affect you want.
As everyone else has said, this is very well done.

kpattie

What I do for inlayed lines that are wider than deep I take a appropriately heavier wire and tap it sort of flat. This way I have a rectangular piece. I anneal it an then inlay it. How you dress it down depends on the final affect you want.
As everyone else has said, this is very well done.

Hi Marty,
Thank you for the direction!

A follow up question if I may, when you come across a 90 degree corner would you cut the wire, relay perpendicularly and continue to hammer in? or would you bend the wire round the corner and hammer it in to fill the corner?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I really don't see anything especially difficult about this. It is just well done. The one thing that makes me wonder is this. Rose-colored gold is usually somewhat hard. That makes it more difficult to inlay. It's probably done with round wire. I don't think it is relief it just looks like that because it is outlined.

kpattie

I really don't see anything especially difficult about this. It is just well done. The one thing that makes me wonder is this. Rose-colored gold is usually somewhat hard. That makes it more difficult to inlay. It's probably done with round wire. I don't think it is relief it just looks like that because it is outlined.
Agree think Im just still in awe being new to this and all lol