How far we have come

herrnusser

You are good. Very good. Your date and serial number are almost exactly on point, possibly withen months. Since this gun was part of a forensic investigation, I had to blot out the assigned case number. But I am extremely impressed with your precise analysis. Great job!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...No special lighting or microscopes or vices; just cut with a push graver clamped in a hand held peg (similar to a split skittle) and braced against a piece of wood jutting out from the bench.../QUOTE]

For those who are not familiar with what Marcus was refering to, I have provided a well known picture of the late Harry Kell who was Ken Hunt's master when he was an apprentice. Harry is holding the receiver of a shotgun against a "peg" rather than using a vise as we now use. How would you like to try that using a push graver and no magnification!!!

Roger Bleile

Attachments

• Harry Kell.jpg
    Harry Kell.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 80

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
How many of us work in a suit coat today? I believe the engravers of old did fanstastic work considering the times, but my respect went up another notch when I viewed this picture. It is all I can do to wear a suit coat to church much less work in one.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I was push graving a bright cut today. Just to get the ultra flat mirror that it can produce. Obviously,
I've haven't been practising enough lately. She flew out of groove and into my thumb.
Another band-aid. Oh well.

Oh to have the reflex's of the Flash.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, you got that right.
And I got the scars to prove it too. Ram one of those babies into the bone and yeeaaoouuww! right Jim? That is the beauty of the pneumatic machines. It virtually eliminates slipping and accompanying stress and anxiety that goes with it. Not to mention drastically shortening that everlasting learning curve.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Also take into consideration the quality of the steel tools these old masters had at their disposal. I've seen old engravers who kept a stone next to their ball and would swipe their graver on it every few cuts to insure the tool stayed sharp. I remember seeing Paul Yeager's brother a Shule trained engraver doing this.

I often marvel at the works of Joseph Glahn who did a lot of work for L.C. Smith. (Check out Brophy's book on L.C. Smith Shotguns.) His work up close looks somewhat crude due I'm sure to the quality of his cutting steel, but his design and execution are wonderful to behold.

Think what these old masters could have done given our wonderful steels, cobalt and carbide, not to mention our power assisted tools.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
You are Correct Ron. I have two that are permanently recorded on one finger. If you get a little bit of
grit in the cut it make an accidental tattoo. I wasn't at the time thinking in terms of body adornment anyway.

I have also had the Honor of having to pull a beader out of another setter's hand, because it was stuck.
At times, it's better to get someone else to help.

If you choose this time Honoured right of passage, remember to put immediate pressure on the leak. It only temporary and you won't pass out. So go have a can of Coke, when you've finished the drink, you can
go back to work. A little wiser, hopefully.

Jim

Last edited: