How Noisy is a Gravemeister

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
If you are talking about having a remote and seperate or silent type compressor they are quite a bit more noisy.
They are a fine machine otherwise, and a lot of people do wonderful work with them.
One way to help with the noise is to cover them with an upside down open work plastic milk crate lined with the convoluted foam like you find inside many gun cases.
With corner legs to raise the crate just off the floor for better air circulation they are fairly quiet.
You can attach a wire rod coming out the top of the crate through the foam and one of the holes to adjust the stroke speed.
I ran one for years this way without any problems of overheating.
Just a thought, hope it helps.
John B.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used the same Gravermeister for 30 years so I am kind of used to the sound. When I have been in shops with the units that are run by air compressors I find it more annoying when the compressor suddenly kicks in. Jeff flannery has the best set up overall. He has a large compressor with a huge air tank in his pole barn and the air is piped into his studio so he never hears the compressor kick in, which it does very little with that huge tank.

My Gravermeister is located on a sturdy shelf under my bench to the right of where I sit. Any time I stop enraving, even for a few minutes, I switch it off. Maybe that is why it has lasted so long with no repair or servicing.

Roger

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Gravermeister that is pretty quiet. The handpiece is worn out so it is kinda noisy. I have a GraverMax I haven't even tried yet. I'm going to mount my 240V compressor outside under a shed and run airlines into my shop, so the compressor noise shouldn't be bad.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
After getting a Lindsay Classic (with a remote compressor) the noise from the gravermeister running drove me nuts. The noise, heat gain in the room from the motor and rotary vein vacuum pump and handpeice over heating drove me to all but retiring the gravermeister. I still have the Gravermeister but have replaced it with a Lindsay Artisan and only use the gravermeister on rare occassions.
The Gravermeister is a good durible machine. I've had my Gravermeister since 1972 and it has not rebuilt.

Roger

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger is right. it really isn't that noisy, turn off when not in use. those folks who complain of the sound of a gravermeister, i fear have never really experienced decibels up close and personal. he is also correct about the compressor. unless you get the very expensive silent types, you will want to isolate them in a seperate location.