How to denote colors in hand engraving

Willy B. Infamous

I remember somewhere that colors were represented by a certain type of background shading. Is there something printed out there that shows me how to represent colors?

Thanks,

Willy B. Infamous

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
get a copy of a book on heraldry. most books will give a good description of how colors were shown on metal. this information may not easily translate on engravings of the size or scale most of us work with.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i had an excellent book on heraldry which i gave to an engraver friend. he helped me quite a bit doing hobo work. his name was steve ellsworth. sadly, i don't recall the name/author of the book. you may get lucky on the bay or amazon.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A coat of arms can be without charges but it can never be without colour!
Since the sixteenth century the graphic depiction of colours in engravings and monochromatic drawings is achieved by hatching.

HATCHINGS
whiteredblueblack
goldpurplegreenblack
Besides hatchings there are the much older damasked (also called diapered) patterns. The name derives from the intricate patterns of woven cloths, for which the city of Damascus was famous. Damasked patterns are not blazoned, nor are they binding for the engraver.

DAMASKS
example 1example 2example 3
Deriving from the habit of adorning shields with fur and leather, furs are amongst the oldest heraldic elements. The principal furs are ermine and vair, both existing in several variations.

FURS
vaircounter vairvair en pointepotent
erminecounter ermineerminoispean